Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has got to be a problem which most of you out there can relate to. Im speaking of that peskey little insect we here in Alabama call the dirt dobber or mud dobber. It can and will stop up every hole in any car that sits over a period of time. I remember a friend who works at a place where they make Cobra kit cars {down the road from where I live} was telling me of a problem they had with a 427FE motor they had built to go into a cobra. After they fired up the motor for the first time the oil pressure went to nill so they shut it down. After tearing the motor back down they discovered their problem, a dirt dobber had made a nest in one of the oil return holes in one of the heads. I have been asking around the car cruzes for any home remedies on how to be rid of this problem, but to no avail. Any of you have any advise for helping keep these critters out of the garage {I have plugged every hole I can see in my garage, but the dobbers always find a way} or out of the project cars?..........thanks mikey

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Wow! What a @#[email protected] problem... I live in the Rockies and this is a new one for me. Fortunately we don't have those critters. Would a bug bomb (gassing them) be of any help? I imagine one problem would be deterimining if they are taking up residence in something yet, that is scouting to see if they are a problem yet. We occasionally fumigate the house to get rid of yucchy bugs that seem to like the basement. Fumigants get into a lot of areas although they may miss an oil passage in a head. Ortho makes bug bombs you can get at Walmart. Just my .02 if that helps.

G

·
The only thing that i could think of to keep a car safe from critters and vermin is made for long term storage(i think) its called the car capsule. Its pretty much an inflatable bubble that your car sets in, with a little fan in it to refresh the air every once in awhile. of course an auto would have to be pest free before going into a capsule. I'm not sure how these really work, ive just seen them posted on here before, and thought hey it might help. for more info -------> http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/DWKS_garage.htm

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kinda hoping for something simple, like mothballs, or maybe a picture of my aunt naked. Also, bug bombs might work, but you would have to do it every day......mikey

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Never heard of em.. though if you have em in Alabama then they are probably in Florida too. I have a problem with big ol cockroaches!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you get some chlorine tablets...like the use in swimming pools-- put a few of these around where the engines/cars are-- you will find they will disappear!- Don't put the tablets on anything you don't want corroded, though. They will last for a while...over time they become less potent! I know this sounds crazy, but they just don't want to deal with the chlorine, and will find an easier place to live.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bishir: Those are not cockroaches...They are the Florida state bird....
We have them bad in South Carolina, also... I would rather have the dirt dobbers...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,516 Posts
I hate those things! I have various sized plastic bags all over the garage. Everytime I clean up/redo a carb, cylinder head, engine, or anything with holes I have to bag it and seal it up.
I hate to rebuild a carb, finally get the motor ready for it a month later only to find dried mud all in my otherwise shiny clean carb. RRRR.
I'll be after some clorine tablets tomorrow. First I've heard of anything that might work. Other than putting a giant baggie over the whole whole damn garage. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Yeah you're right! I was emptying my shop vac the other day and it was full of cockroaches. Up north, it seemed you had em if you house was filthy, but down here they are everwhere!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Hey Bishir, I thought they called those sho-nuff-big roaches "palmetto bugs" when I lived in Pensacola, or so the old timers cackled...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
One problem with dirt dobbers is that they will build in any hole they find. Bolt hole, hose end,\
vacuum hole, even inside throttle return springs.
Pulled out the big sand blaster today....Yup, totally clogged. If they can't find a hole they build a big dirt clod nest that can be as big as a baseball. Try tracking down a vibration when they are
on 2 wheels, driveshaft AND on the fan!!! On a scary note, If you DON'T find them on a car that has sat for a while around here....stay away...I usually find spiders on these.
We also have Palmetto bugs, but the possums seem to like them!
Bruce (East Texas)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
We have mud dobbers in Iowa, hell I see a half dozen a year before there pointy little butts freeze. roaches the size your talking about give me the willy's. I guess that's the price you pay for not freezing your butt off for 5 months a year.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i hear ya, thats happened to me here in georgia. You go to put the manifold and carb back on the car and hald the vacuum lines are plugged with mud. My other favorite was working outside and trying to keep the tools cool. More than once i resorted to keeping my wrenches and sockets in a bucket of water. You lay a wrench down for what seems like a minute and you can't pick the damn thing up again. My garage has cement walls so i do real good now.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've never had a problem with dirt dobbers in my car or garage but I do have two large dirt dobber nests under my front porch right now, perhaps for some reason they find that spot more attractive. Maybe supply them with a more attractive spot to build their nests?

I have a problem with small sorpions crawling into my shop shoes and my shop rags. I have to beat my shoes down prior to putting them on to avoid a nasty sting.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I would be very careful putting clorine tablets in the garage, mixed with brake fluid, it causes a chemical reaction & will ignite , big time
there was a guy up here that torcheda kmart with that combo

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I know what yo mean! I had noe trying to build in my rear defogger last weekend. I blasted her with wasp spray. That will be the last part that dauber ruins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts