Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Pensacola show a couple weekends ago and was really disappointed in the turnout. I don't blame the participants but do blame the organizers of the event. I told the members of that club last year that they were headed for disaster with their $50 a car entry fee and there response was that it's all for charity. Well guess what, this year they had half the cars if that much at the show. I'm not saying I told you so but I'M TELLING YOU I TOLD YOU SO. Don't get me wrong here because this show was my favorite of all to attend and planned on it every year as many of my fellow mustangers did. I know of a club in my area that usally attened this show with a few cars and this year I didn't see a one. Doesn't it make since that with the economy the way it is that you would drop the price a little to keep the car's coming. This was once a really great event and I hope they reorganize and bring it back to what it once was.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
The local show here has, IIRC, about a $12 fee, they block off the streets in the center of town. Over 1000 cars last year, I think. Running out of side streets. The charity cleaned up. Good cars, too, everything from daily drivers to Dusenbergs.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Was it this show? Pensacola Mustang Show March 25-27, 2011 at Baton Rouge Mustangers

From their website:Registering a car in a judged class will cost $40 unless you opt for one of the limited inside spaces in which case the fee is $50. Registering as Display Only costs $25 and placing a car in the Pony Corral (cars for sale) is $35

So you can show with no chance at a trophy for $25
You can be judged class for $40 and
You can be inside judged for $50

That does seem extremely high for a clubs event and not a Natl. MCA show. I don't think I've ever paid more than $25 for a local clubs show and doubt I would. I guess the trailer queens have no problem paying $50 to be inside and air conditioned I expect. If I were outside I wouldn't pay $40, probably $30 tops and there better be a lot of parts to browze and some nice trophy's / door prizes to have a shot at.
Jon

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Pensacola

I've been going to the P'cola show since 1986 and have only missed a few, including this year. I really don't like the change to the fairgrounds, as there is nothing to do except the cars, whereas the old shopping center had something for the ladies to do, the hotels were within walking distance, as was quite a few restaurants.
The folks that put on the show are great people but they are kinda stuck out in left field. since the old shopping center doesn't want it there any more. I think they should find another similar place and not the fairgrounds, as it's just not the same show it used to be.
No trees for shade like before, no easy place to get lunch, too far out of town.
I've also noticed the vending is down considerably, mostly from locals, as it isn't convenient like before. The are a lot more shopping areas in P'cola that might welcome such a large crowd, but I think it will evolve into just another car show if they stay at the Fairgrounds!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't been to the show since it was at the mall (first due to distance and my schedule, and this year, again my schedule, due to my screw up).

It is a national show and has combined with MOPARs and others for a really big show. Looks like the same for next year but if you've got constructive criticism I'm sure the club wouldn't mind hearing it: Contact_Info

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I'm surprised they don't hold it at University Mall. Seems to me there'd be plenty of room for the show and for Mall customers. Or has it shrunk since I lived there? There was enough parking lot for Christmas Eve shopping with room to spare, then.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I loved the Mall location too. While I enjoyed the cars/show, the family hung around the mall or hotel and I could hook up with them from time to time like for lunch. Made for a nice weekend, especially when my car entered in the show was our only transportation and everything was in walking distance.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
University Mall took heavy damage during hurricane Ivan about 5 yrs ago and the owners did the ole nickle and dime repair on it to the tenants that were still there and not wiped out.Since then Sears,J.C.Penneys and one other big retailer are still there and everybody else is gone.At this time the rest of the mall will be demolished in the next couple weeks and they have some plans to rebuild.Most of the hotels and places to eat within walking distance of the mall are either gone or really run down.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's so much the location but the price they charge for a show that's at a less desirable area than in the past. The $50 price for a Mustang is just way to much to start with. If your an MCA member you get $10 knocked off which puts you at the same price that a Ford powered other car pays ($40) So if your a Mustang and don't belong to the MCA your penalized $10. I know people here in Georgia that stated last year that they were not going to pay the $50 and they weren't there this year either. My only intent here is for that show to revert back to what it was whatever location it's at.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Most of the hotels and places to eat within walking distance of the mall are either gone or really run down.
Too bad. I still have a Chan's "Around the World Club" T-shirt and certificate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts