Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have two kinda rusty seat tracks. I got two of them working OK by cleaning them out with brake clean and then lubing up with white lithium grease. The other two are still really crunchy.

I found this:
How To Restore Seat Tracks On A Vintage Mustang - Mustang Monthly Magazine

but mine wont come apart like theirs. There is a huge rivet in the bottom that I think is keeping it together. Can I grind out that rivet and then disassemble them? :shrug:

Looks like they would have some additional travel after I take that out as the only things stopping the bearings would be the tabs at the ends.

I really want to blast them and repaint them to get them sliding smooth again. Worst case I end up buying new ones anyway.

TIA
-Dan

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what i did. blasted them sliding in and out to get everything then cleaned then pulled them all the way out one way and painted what would be covered when slid back the other way, waited to dry, slid back the other way and coated the rest. this was all with por 15
I don't think that will work. Two are stuffed full of chunks.

I read the rattle can thread, mine are beyond rattle can restoration. They may already be junk.

I have already bent flat my tabs without issue (thinking that would get them apart). I also am pretty good at welding and I could easily tack back on a stop.

-dz

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I don't think that will work. Two are stuffed full of chunks.
Shouldn't matter. I've done quite a few with the blast, slide, blast. Worked every time.

You can "pre-work" them, a few times I've put 'em in a vise and work back and forth, removing crud before blasting.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
i did mine last weekend. they slide very nice now. the old grease was pretty dry.

the slide without the arm on both seats appeared to have the fasteners and mounting pads P&O so i had to press out the bolts. The slides with the arms were all painted black including the bolts.

media blasted, epoxied and the sprayed with a flattened urethane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts