Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Disc Brake Swap.com's Granada kit is the only sure bet that I'd recommend and you might want to option it with the Mustang rotor/caliper upgrade so you don't have to turn the rotor snout down to fit in the wheels' center hole (oh and you get bigger brakes to boot).

The kit is $545 complete and comes with 65-66 spindles to eliminate all the issues with a junkyard granada swap on the early cars. I like my Scarebird setup, but they've changed the design since I bought mine and it only fits 15"+ wheels anyway.
HTH
--kyle

·
Registered
765 Posts
Scarebird works with 14" rims. It's bolt on, and doesn't require alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with a guy on Ebay, user name chockostang. I have 14" styled steel wheels on my 67 Cougar and they fit without any hassle. He always has something for sale.

·
Registered
187 Posts
SSBC worked on mine with 14" SS wheels. I believe the rotors were 11 1/4" but am not for sure.

Russ

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
R&C Motorsports has a setup that will work with 14" as previously stated. My 65 stops nice and straight!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The real issue is if your 14" rims are the early, drum brake only type, or the later type that's made to fit over the oem Mustang discs with 11.3" rotors. IIRC, all of the premium rims offered (like the styled steel rims) will clear the disc brakes. The plain steel rims could be either type, the drum only type or the disc type which obviously will fit drums also. Naturally all the disc equipped cars had the matching rims, but many drum cars had disc capable rims as well. The only way to know for sure is try and fit them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have the Steel Style Wheels. Just plain old steelies with hubcaps right now.

Looks like the Scarebird, SSBC, R&C, and the Ebay guy all work with 14" rims.

I guess the question comes down to price and ease of assembly.

R&C $389 - Cheapest kit. Doesn't come with spindles. I assume that means this kit works with stock drum spindles?

ChockoStang $430 - Looks like a very complete kit, promises "tech support" and has 100% feedback. Includes new spindles, so I assume that means his kit doesn't work with stock spindles.

Scarebird $449 - Also works with stock spindles. This guy (I wonder if he is on here?) did it for under $450, and that includeds fluids and master cylinder. Seems very affordable.

Disc Brake Swap.Com $545 - Looks like a real nice kit and local company, so I could pick up in person.

SSB $670 - Most expensive kit, but thats a Summit. Maybe somewhere cheaper to get it. Does come with new master cylinder.

I assume they will all need a new master cylinder, proportioning valve, and modified hard lines.

Seems to be pretty close between the Rod & Custom and Scarebird, but the Rod & Custom seems easier since it has everything included. Is that R&C kit missing anything other than the master cylinder and prop. valve?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Wow, seeing chockostang's price, I'd go for that in a New York minute. That's the same stock setup that SSBC wants $670 for (cheapest SSBC price I've ever seen BTW).

R&C requires some cutting due to the caliper position, I'm not a fan.

Scarebird has put me off big time, F'ing with success in changing his kits 950,000 times and ditching the S10/Mustang based kit that I bought. His newer kits aren't nearly as simple as they seem. Good news is I have somewhere under $400 in it. :)

I'm still in shock over chockostang's price. The other $400 setups require cutting or aren't a simple bolt on. His are the excellent stock brakes, why not buy em for that price?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I upgraded to 15" wheels so I could run a larger set-up.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sir_Strongbad said:
I don't have the Steel Style Wheels. Just plain old steelies with hubcaps right now.

Looks like the Scarebird, SSBC, R&C, and the Ebay guy all work with 14" rims.

I guess the question comes down to price and ease of assembly.

R&C $389 - Cheapest kit. Doesn't come with spindles. I assume that means this kit works with stock drum spindles?

ChockoStang $430 - Looks like a very complete kit, promises "tech support" and has 100% feedback. Includes new spindles, so I assume that means his kit doesn't work with stock spindles.

Scarebird $449 - Also works with stock spindles. This guy (I wonder if he is on here?) did it for under $450, and that includeds fluids and master cylinder. Seems very affordable.

Disc Brake Swap.Com $545 - Looks like a real nice kit and local company, so I could pick up in person.

SSB $670 - Most expensive kit, but thats a Summit. Maybe somewhere cheaper to get it. Does come with new master cylinder.

I assume they will all need a new master cylinder, proportioning valve, and modified hard lines.

Seems to be pretty close between the Rod & Custom and Scarebird, but the Rod & Custom seems easier since it has everything included. Is that R&C kit missing anything other than the master cylinder and prop. valve?

My SWAP.2 kit will not allow you to use the standard 14" wheels, while the SWAP.3 will on 68-73 cars. The SWAP.3 is based upon the original 68-73 design. See my other comments in an email to your gmail address.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have the SSBC/OEM 4 piston conversion kit with the 11 1/4" rotors AND stock, original 14 x 5" steelies w/hubcaps and no modifications. It's close with the crossover tube on the capipers, though, but no rubbing.

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
I don't know what my 14" wheels that are on it at the moment are. Look like cragar knock offs. Anyways, the stock 68 brakes seem to fit fine underneath it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought the power front disc set from Mustangs Unltd and have 14" on my 66 vert with styled steel wheels. Had to use spacers with longer wheel studs but they work fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts