Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just converted over to a disc brake system on my 66 coupe. Everything seems to be working fine except that when i went to test the stopping power of the brakes i couldnt get them to lock up. i guess this could be a good thing in a way but it seems odd that they dont. Also the pads are rubbing slightly on the rotors but i figured that was just because they are new. could all of this be an adjustment/bleeding problem?

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disc pads always rub lightly on the rotor, note I said lightly not dragging.
I have noticed that sometimes the disc brakes performance will be poor at first with a higher than normal pedal pressure, but they will very soon wear in and get with the program.
Did you install an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake's circuit?
If your pedal is still unusually low then that could be an indication of air somewhere in the system, sometimes it takes a frustrating amount of bleeding before all the air comes out!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have done a disk brake conversion too and mine won't lock up either. Although I have never just stomped them as hard as possible to try and force a lock up. They stop very well they just don't lock up. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about as long as they stop good you don't really want them to lock up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I would say that your brakes should be able to lock up. You dont have antilock brakes so something is going on! Did yall ever get a good solid pedal?

I had trouble with this. Turned out that I put the calipers on the wrong sides. When you do this it positions them such that the bleeder valves are at the wrong angle and will not allow all the air out. If I remember right the bleeder valve should point toward the rear of the car and will enter the cylinder of the caliper at 12 oclock parallell to the ground (the valve). If on there backward the valve will point up and enter the cylinder at about 1:30.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have the SSBC power disks on my '66 vert. I locked them up the first week with a panic stop, they did very well. Even though I have the power booster it took a fair amount of pedal pressure to lock them up. You might find a safe place to try some panic stops.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ive panic stopped and locked up my completely stock manual drum brakes on my 64 coupe before.come to think of it i can easily lock them up if i want to. is this abnormal?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I converted my manual 4 wheel drum system to a manual disk/drum setup about a year ago. The pedal pressure for the drums was monsterous and the brakes would fade at high speed. The pedal pressure for the disk/drums is equally heavy but I can lock up the rear brakes if I really romp on them. If you can't you need to adjust the proportioning valve to provide more pressure to the rear drums.

Question to the forum: I didn't replace the factory distribution block when I changed brakes. Should I have a different block with the disk front brakes? Could that be the source of the heavy pedal pressure requirement?

·
Registered
912 Posts
My car is manual disks....i should have specified in my reply. I actually think if I hit them really hard they would lock but I have never had to. I do have a good hard pedal and they stop very well so I thinkk they are ok.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I just bought all the parts to do mine and the seller included a new distribution block, which he says I will need and which the mechanic who will do the conversion asked if I had. So I assume it is needed, but don't know that for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts