Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I work on cars, its a good excuse for my adult daughter to come over and have me fix things on her vehicle. Recently, she has been complaining about brake squeaks, so I took a look. After some looking around, I didn't see anything visually wrong, but it was making some awful noise, which got 10x worse when I did a hard stop test. Turns out the driver side inner pad was not installed correctly and fell off. It was in pieces stuck between the rotor and the stone guard. The caliper pistons were pressing on the rotor directly making a huge mess of the rotor and pistons. Based on the wear on the outer pad being tapered, I have to assume the other pad was just hanging on until very recently.

I have never seen this kind of total failure in brakes. What's worse is that the visible areas looked good. All the damage was hidden inside the stone guard, and the missing pad was hard to see. Glad she came over and didn't just keep driving it. Though dealing with the 4x4 hubs made it kind of annoying, and something new for me to learn.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
125 Posts
Since I work on cars, its a good excuse for my adult daughter to come over and have me fix things on her vehicle. Recently, she has been complaining about brake squeaks, so I took a look. After some looking around, I didn't see anything visually wrong, but it was making some awful noise, which got 10x worse when I did a hard stop test. Turns out the driver side inner pad was not installed correctly and fell off. It was in pieces stuck between the rotor and the stone guard. The caliper pistons were pressing on the rotor directly making a huge mess of the rotor and pistons. Based on the wear on the outer pad being tapered, I have to assume the other pad was just hanging on until very recently.

I have never seen this kind of total failure in brakes. What's worse is that the visible areas looked good. All the damage was hidden inside the stone guard, and the missing pad was hard to see. Glad she came over and didn't just keep driving it. Though dealing with the 4x4 hubs made it kind of annoying, and something new for me to learn.
Sounds like the pads were not sliding properly, happens in the rust belt all the time for us. Clean and lube the new ones, make sure caliper and hose were releasing psi

·
Registered
8,714 Posts

What vehicle was this on?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Sounds like the pads were not sliding properly, happens in the rust belt all the time for us. Clean and lube the new ones, make sure caliper and hose were releasing psi
So true. With the toxic soup they spray on the roads these days, I'm doing brakes long before they ever wear out. The rotors start to rot from the edges of the inside surface. Before you know it, there is minimal contact area and the brakes are grinding, but you still have 50% pad thickness. I only got two years out of the rears on my 11 Outback. One edge of the bracket developed some rust under the stainless slider clip and caused the pad to hang.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts