Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I post some pics of my nearly completed front disc brake install. I went the the SSBC kit, yeah it was alittle pricey but the only thing it didn't come with was brake fluid and a monkey to throw tools at you. All I have left to do is bleed the system and slap the tires on. The only problems I had was the tight location of the master cylinder and bending the lines to make the connections. Took me a couple trys and broke a piece of my flaring tool kit, but I eventually figured it out.

http://www.freewebs.com/roberts65fastback/Disc%20Brakes%20003.jpg http://www.freewebs.com/roberts65fastback/Disc%20Brakes%20004.jpg

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Robert,

I'll have to double check when I get home, but aren't the SSBC calipers supposed to mount to the rear side of the rotor? I've done so many disc brake swaps that the details sometimes get fuzzy, but something's telling me the caliper doesn't look right....

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Dave, I thought the same thing when I saw them, but they are on the front in thses pictures, Link .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Robert,
Looks great, but does that power booster and dual reservoir set up actually clear the shock tower without modification to the tower or brace?

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
Robert,

I'll have to double check when I get home, but aren't the SSBC calipers supposed to mount to the rear side of the rotor? I've done so many disc brake swaps that the details sometimes get fuzzy, but something's telling me the caliper doesn't look right....

Dave
As long as the bleed nipples are pointing up and nothing hits anything else I wouldn't think it matters...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Yes, that PB master/booster will clear, but BARELY. The master cannot be removed seperately. The whole unit has to be removed as an assembly.

Dave

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, You had me worried there for a second, he he. Yeah there done as per the instructions.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Okay, I went back and looked at my pictures. On a 67-68 car, the SSBC calipers mount on the rear side of the rotor.

On my '66, the calipers mount on the rear side also, but I'm not using SSBC on my car.

I guess it just seems odd to see them mounted on the forward side....

Dave

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reservoir and booster is a really tight squeeze. It clears the shock tower by maybe an inch, if the original braces were installed it might hit them. To get this unit in I had to first install the booster and then the reservoir. I also did this with the hood still on so it wasn't easy. To get the nuts tight on the booster I had to 45 a old open end wrench.

Sorry, no modifications where made to the shock tower but the braces were already removed because I have the export brace installed.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Robert,

You were able to install the booster and master cylinder seperately?

Dave

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes and it was tricky. First I had to place the reservoir in the hole facing the center of the dash and then rotate the front of reservoir towards the front of the car. By doing this it mated right up with the mounting bolts on the booster. Since I was by myself taking the hood off wasn't an option and removing the export brace was well too much work.

Have I had to install the long push rod thingy that was on my old booster and reservoir no it would have not been possible. Keep in mind the old booster and res wasn't original. I read alot in the forums about reusing the old plunger etc etc. But this was a brand new kit and no where in the instructions did it even mention using any old parts.

Thanks for the compliments everybody.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My SSBC calipers are mounted to the front side of the rotors as well. The install looks correct to me.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
65-67 factory Kelsey Hayes calipers mount on
the "front" side of the rotors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts