Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting this spring, the driver side only disc brake on my '66 factory GT has been real touchy ( locking up ). I have owned for 3-1/2 years & vacuum bleed the brakes once a year. If I drive it for a while the issue lessens & almost goes away. Is the proportioning valve or the brake caliper the problem ?? I am guessing the caliper pistons are binding but am unsure. What would be the solution ?? Can I rebuild the caliper myself or would a new / rebuilt caliper be better ?? Thanx in advance -- Dean

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The rubber hoses can collapse internally and cause this problem. Or the pistons could be sticking.

I would try the hoses first and then check the pistons.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
The rubber hoses can collapse internally and cause this problem. Or the pistons could be sticking.

I would try the hoses first and then check the pistons.
Good point, crack the bleeder screw when they are dragging and see is fluid shoots out like it's under pressure.

Stock master and distribution block? If so the proportioning valve is only in the rear brake line so you can rule that out.

Original KH 4 piston caliper? Not worried about concourse correct? I would just swap it out but first check your disc to ensure there is no issues there. Rebuilding a 4 piston caliper with new seals and most likely new pistons is just as expensive as replacing even if you do it right. Not trying to plug a company but Chokostang's calipers were a great 4 piston replacement + you can sell the KH calipers as a core for about $100 or up for the pair to Concourse guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am betting on the hoses. Been there done that on a number of vehicles. If they are over 10yrs old rubber hoses, replace them if the brakes are locking up.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will replace BOTH hoses first. It wouldn't surprise me if they were 10+ years old -- I have no way of knowing. Thanx for all the input guys, disc brakes on vintage Mustangs are new territory for me. Dean

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I replaced BOTH hoses and got the same results as before. Hoses were well aged and slightly cracked so replacement was still needed. Now I will replace one or possibly both calipers. Thanx for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they are original KH calipers.
Hmm.., I may have to call that place & get a quote.
How do you get ahold of Chokostang ??
Thanx for the info.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am having the same problem with my factory GT. It appears that the grease seal is leaking. The hub is greasy and I can see where greasy stuff is creeping outward on the rotor from the hub. My suspicion is that the brake is grabbing from slight greasy fluid on the rotor, and after several stops, it burns off and stops grabbing.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/quote]
68RCodeConv said:
Original KH 4 piston caliper? Not worried about concourse correct? I would just swap it out but first check your disc to ensure there is no issues there. Rebuilding a 4 piston caliper with new seals and most likely new pistons is just as expensive as replacing even if you do it right. Not trying to plug a company but Chokostang's calipers were a great 4 piston replacement + you can sell the KH calipers as a core for about $100 or up for the pair to Concourse guys.
Thanx for the website -- I did a website search and used the wrong spelling ( see above ).

I have no grease containment problems w/ my discs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts