Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get the push rod out of the disc brake master cylinder? I forgot to buy one when I bought my new one and I hate to wait a week for it to come in the mail

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've never seen an easy to get it out without destroying the clip on the end. Usually it's just a punch in the hole in the rod and hitting it with a big hammer. You can buy new clips but they're about $3 each with $4 shipping and, again, about a week away.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I removed the piston, put it in a vise and then used a reciprocating saw to cut enough off the back of the piston to expose the pushrod.
Yes, or put in vise, use a air cutting wheel, cut length wise on piston-CAREFULLY. When you are close, put piston on flat surface of vise, place a chisel in the cut, hit the chisel with a hammer, that sucker will open up like a egg.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Note how much you can swivel the rod in the piston before you take it out. Make sure it behaves the same in your new MCyl.

There was a thread on here not that long ago about a piston that didn't have the socket correctly machined.. The rod wouldn't swivel, stuck out too far, and wouldn't allow the brakes to properly release or be properly bled.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Just get that original pushrod out in perfect condition any way you can. You can't buy a new one. Only "adjustable" and many people can't seem to adjust them correctly. You should be able to get a snap ring plier and pull the piston /pushrod /clip out of the master cylinder. Then it's a matter of carefully sawing through the soft aluminum piston.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts