1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I wouldn't...I'd rather keep the original spindles and therefore the original geometery. Check out the RC132 kit from Rod & Custom Motorsports, it's $349 and bolts to the stock spindles.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but ihave drums tho

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Here are some options from an ebay vendor Backwoods Classics. I bought his kit for our '58 Thunderbird and have been very pleased. For Mustangs he sells a bracket for $100 that bolts to the stock drum spindle and uses modern caliper and rotors readily available from the local parts store.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
yeah but ihave drums tho
yeah..the whole point of the conversion kits is to bolt discs to the stock drum spindles ::

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool i will lookin to the rod and cusom one thanks

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
The Scarebird swap and the Rod and Custom swap are the low cost leaders for this swap. (Just do a search on either name and you'll get a ton of hits.) Both use a bracket that bolts to your car's original drum brake spindles. Both use GM calipers, but R&C uses a Ford rotor, while Scarebird uses a GM rotor.

You may notice from my sig line that I have Scarebird front discs (he also sells a rear disc kit as well), but the design has been evolving since I put mine on, so it is not exactly the same as what you would get today.

Swapping the spindles "may" cause geometry problems in the front suspension, although most who do it have no problem at all. I think it depends on how wide of tires you end up running, and if you up grade the control arms or not.

In any event there are a number of low cost options out there now.
(There are also a number of high cost options as well if money is not tight - or is no object.)

John Harvey

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
while Scarebird uses a GM rotor.
He's changed the kit a bazillion times and now uses 70 Mustang rotors and 4x4 S10 calipers
HTH
--Kyle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts