Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to upgrade the 68 to orig8nal style Ford disc brakes. Sorted out a caliper issue on another thread. Now have a few questions I need to answer before ordering the final parts.

I am swapping the front spindles with a set of D0ZA (70 Mustang) spindles. As I understand it, they have larger bearing posts and took a slightly larger tie rod pin.

I already have a set of 68 Rotors.

So on to the questions:

1. Will all the 68 parts (rotor, splash shields, hoses etc.) not including the tie rod, fit if I swap out the bearing races and bearings for 70 bearings?
2. Is there any difference between 70 rotors and 68 rotors? Should I return the 68s for 70s or just replace the races?
3. Is there any advantage to swapping to a 70 tie rod vs. using the little adapters that make the 68 tie rod fit?
4. Is there anything else I need to consider for this swap?
5. What are people using for brake pads? I changed my 94GT to “Red Stuff” pads. Very happy with them so far. Any experience with them on a classic?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Use the right tie rod, they’re cheap enough. As for the rotors, if they’re in good shape I’d just change out the races and bearings.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Very simple.

Get A12-A13 bearing sets.
Remove races out of 68 rotors--Then install A12-A13 races.

Tie Rods--JUST PUT ON 70 outers! No cotton pickin bushing, spaces at all.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very simple.

Get A12-A13 bearing sets.
Remove races out of 68 rotors--Then install A12-A13 races.

Tie Rods--JUST PUT ON 70 outers! No cotton pickin bushing, spaces at all.
Thanks , Greg, Dan, that’s what I figured was the best answer. The bearings will be here this afternoon. What’s the easiest way to swap the bearing races.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nope, the HF race installer didnt work for me.

I rented a set from AZ and it wasnt the right size. They opened a brand new box with the same p/n and it was the right size.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, the HF race installer didnt work for me.

I rented a set from AZ and it wasnt the right size. They opened a brand new box with the same p/n and it was the right size.
Good to know, thanks

·
Premium Member
9,893 Posts
A piece of brass rod and a hammer works well to install races in the hubs. DO NOT use a steel drift or punch to drive them in as the race is hardened and hammering on it with steel could possibly fracture it.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A piece of brass rod and a hammer works well to install races in the hubs. DO NOT use a steel drift or punch to drive them in as the race is hardened and hammering on it with steel could possibly fracture it.
Interesting. I’ll be sure to be careful. I got a race install ki5 from Autozone. Hoping that will work well. I still have to get the old ones out first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts