Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the installation of a disc brake kit i bought... it comes with a new duall resovoir master cylinder, but no distribution block, instead it just comes with a residual valve and an adjustable porportioning valve. they say to just use that to hook up the brakes, but i have no idea how to do that... i have some preflared brake lines and fittings, but i dont know how to hook it up per se. If anyone has any pictures of how to hook up a system like this, then please help me, im stuck. Or if you live in the alpharetta area and would like to give me a hand maybe, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There are 2 outets from the master cylinder.

1 outlet powers the front brakes. This is the outlet closer to the cowl.
1 outlet powers the rear brakes. This is the outlet closer to the front of the car.

FRONT
you need (at the least) a T to split the line. aka, one master cylinder outlet will be "T"'ed to run both front brakes. This can be just a T.

REAR
Most times, the split for the rear wheels happens on the axle itself. So your responsbility here is to
master cylinder outlet, THEN , the proportioning valve, THEN, the line that goes to the rear of the car. Most times you will place the proportioning value near the master cyclinder, using 8 or 12" (or so) of hard brake line, then hook up the proportioning valve to the hard line (that goes under the car) to the rear lines.

You then adjust the proportioning valve accordingly, to get the right ratio.

This setup is FINE, but there are no "bad brakes" idiot lights to hook up with this scenario.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'd recommend you buy a distribution block from any late 60's to 70's mid-sized ford 4 wheel drum brake car with a warning light and use that to plumb your system. The residual valve and adjustable proportioning valve will go on the rear line. Note that the residual valve is only necessary if you are using drums on the rear still...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts