Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Quick Preface to me: I'm new to this board and just bought a '65 Mustang Fastback (117k miles, cost me $7k), drum brakes on it currently. First Mustang I've purchased and first car planning to really start working on as my 2000 Cougar is my daily work driver.

I've been reading around about the conversions to disc brakes, I've seen several articles detailing the "Granada" brake swap. As to the fact I'm fairly new at this (I have a roommate that has done some car work before and does all his maintenance, just a lazy sob) and the money isn't the hugest factor in the world (it obviously is a factor as I'm not made of money). I'd like to end up with a really nice braking system on the car that will work with the original rims (as I think they look the best on the cars) and will work later on if I decide to upgrade engines so they'll have enough power to help stop the car ;P

So I was thinking along the lines of a convesion kit instead of the "Granada Swap" as that involves alot more hunting around and I unfortunately don't know of a salvage yard around here yet.

So what kit and from where can you order it would you recommend to give really good performance / stock compatibility for the money?

Should I go 4-wheel disc brakes or just do the front? Is it worth the time / money to do all 4?

Will changing to disc brakes harm the resale value much at all or increase the resale value?

Any estimates on how long the swap will take with 2 people working on it?

Thanks, I hope these message boards are as helpful as the cougar ones have been for pointing out the tons of problems I've had with that hunk of [censored], for the right price the cougar is for sale ;)

'00 Mercury Cougar - Hunk of Sh*t (Anyone wanna buy it? come on you know you want to)

'65 Mustang Fastback (my first Muscle Car, give me some slack I'm 19 and dumb enough to try to get into fixing up an old car)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I recently did the disc brake swap on my fastback. I looked into the Granada swap, and then opted for the kit that's made by Stainless Steel Brake Corp. This is an EASY conversion. Everything that is needed, every line, every bolt, and a master cylinder, is included in the kit.

It is something that a couple of people could do with very little difficult. The kit uses the existing drum brake hubs, so you just remove the drum brake hubs, lines and master cylinder and replace the with the new. Since you are not messing with the hub, you don't even have to get the front end realigned, unlike the Granada swap. With the Granada swap, you replace not only the hubs, but you need different tie rod ends.

My own personal thoughts, you don't really need to do the rear brakes unless you do a lot of serious road coarse racing.

The big draw back with the SSB brake kit is the cost. It is around $900-950, if memory serves me right. If I had to do it all over again, would I? Damn straight. Just the ease of the kit made it all worth the money. If I wouldn't have been doing about a dozen other to the fastback at the time, I could have it done in a good afternoon, or on a bad day a weekend.

If you have specific questions, just drop 'em out here on the forum and you'll get a lot of different opinions, but all good advice.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ya beat me to the punch telling him about SSB, Bill. I guess that I type too slow.......*G* Them damn rented fingers. LOL

Rob
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What type engine is currently in your mustang, and what type are you "Upgrading" to.

I recently bought the Stainless steel kit for my 65 coupe. I have not installed it yet. I am waiting on some suspension parts to add into the mix.

But, I have a 65 I6 and have upgraded the upper and lower arms as well as bigger spindles in the front. And a 9" rear. I am keeping the drums on the back, the consensus around here was two wheel disks are really enough. Four is sort of overkill. Your money is better spent elswhere.

Hope this helps..

LOL

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has the Original 289 2v Engine in it.

I'm not sure what I'll upgrade to, I'm thinking more of an engine type upgrade like next winter (there isn't much to do in Ohio during the winter). I just don't want to end up with a kit that'll provide just enough stopping power, a little over kill in brakes is preferred then being just enough.

Thanks for all the quick respones (I'm impressed).
Look at the SSB website. What is the difference in the 2 packages listed below. Why do they cost the same and is there an advantage to one over the other? I think after reading the posts and the response I will go with just the front disc brakes.

A120
Front Non Power drum to disc brake conversion kit (1964-66)
$895.00

A120D
Front Non Power drum to disc brake conversion kit with dual reservior
$895.00

Thanks again you guys rock!

'00 Mercury Cougar - Hunk of Sh*t (Anyone wanna buy it? come on you know you want to)

'65 Mustang Fastback (my first Muscle Car, give me some slack I'm 19 and dumb enough to try to get into fixing up an old car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also for the extra $100 would it be worth while to go to the super duty package with aluminum calipers?

What would the difference be in reality?

I notice they have the $1600 force-10 extreme kits, which sounds / looks like a bit insane ;P 4-caliper brakes? My friends porsche had that and stopped on a dime, I think I'd like to save money and stop on a quarter if you know what I mean.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I know I'm posting my 3rd response to my own post (call me retarded) but I keep thinking of things just after I submit them.

With that SSB kit is there *ANYTHING* at all that I would need to have a functional braking system afterwards?

Is there anything that I should check to make sure it's not too warn before doing this change?

I'd definately like to order once and do it right the first try on this mod.

Thanks again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your best bet is the SSB kit. It comes complete w/everything you need. The Granada swap is a p.i.t.a. as you have to rig up front brake lines and a proportioning valve. The other posts are correct. I also wouldn't recommend rear discs unless you're dropping a BIG motor and/ or racing. Just my .02
Also WELCOME to VMF!!!

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The difference between the two kits it the master cylinder -- single or dual reservoir. Definately go with the dual, for safety reasons. Everything should be included in the kit that you will need, except the tools. *G*

Do you have 14" or 15" rims? They say they work with 14" rims, but I've heard that some 14" rims don't work. Someone here on the forum can set the record straight on this matter. For me this wasn't a problems, cause I've got 15" rims.

Rob
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did the Granada swap. It was a P.I.T.A. Would I do it again? Depends how much money I have in my pocket. I would reccomend the SSB kit if you can swing it, otherwise you will be spending a lot of time finding all the necessary parts and getting everything to fit. Either way, I would just swap the front, leave the back drums alone. Good luck.

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I put the SSB brakes on my car 9 years ago and the kit was totally complete. I had it installed in an afternoon and I have not had a problem with it in the last nine years.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definate thanks for all the great responses, but 1 last question.

What tools will be necssary for the install?
Anything strange or out the ordinary that I shouldn't be able to pickup at a local hardware store if we don't have it at the house (heh piles of tools at the house but never know).

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
On my previous '65 FB I bought the Stainless Steel Brake Corps kit for the original Ford Mustang Brakes (4 piston Kelsey-Hayes calipers, 10.5" rotor). It was the single reservoir Master cylinder (didn't have the option of dual reservoir back in '87). It was an easy install but I had to grind a bit off the dust shields for it to clear the calipers. Had no problems with it and had less brake fade problems than drums. The stock 14" steel rims fit fine in my case but others mentioned caliper rub. The Styled Steel rims should fit no problem (14" or aftermarket 15").

Tools you will need:

Socket wrench set

breaker bar

Torque wrench

pliers,

screw drivers (Phillips and flat)

open end or combo box and open end wrench set

Brake line wrench (regular open end wrench may work but usually rounds off the shoulders of the brake line fittings)

Liquid wrench or your favorite bolt loosener

hammer

Disc brake axle bearing grease

brake fluid

beer (if you drink)

drill and drill bits to mount proportioning valve

trouble light

I think that's it. The best thing about the SSBC factory disc kit is that you don't have to swap spindles - another PITA!

Good Luck!

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts