Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just pondering doing a disc brake swap on my '70. Nothing for sure at all, as I'm sure there are better ways to spend my money right now. Anyways, I did some searches, but couldn't come up with much, since I'm not very good at using the search feature here. What I want to know is:
What all is required to do the swap?
I found this on ehay, item #2428570387. It's relatively nearby, and at what I think is a decent price. If I got this, what else would I need? And is it at a good price?
If all that would be too much work, what kit would fit me? I think Baer is out of my price range. I seem to pick up that SSBC is good quality, good price stuff. I think this would be the kit I wanted, right?
http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/products/detail/432/?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1970
I think I saw somewhere that Wilwood kits aren't "street legal". Is this true? I don't want to do anything "bad".
I only have about $1000 in the bank right now, so I do have a limited budget. I just feel like I need to do something to my car, sort of to celebrate the end of summer. Not that I'm celebrating the end of summer, but just sort of like a present. Pay no attention to me, I tend to ramble. So anyways, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just ordered mine from mustangsunlimited.com
Was 950.00. they have a slightly less expensive setup, but I opted for the slotted rotors

·
Registered
952 Posts
You have several options available to you. But as far as the Wilwoods "street legal" as I understand it none of the kits are "street legal". Wilwoods lawyers make them put the disclaimer on them so they can't be sued. I am running them on the front and am very happy with them.

If you are interested in going stock then I have most of the components from a 70 coupe. Spindles, calipers, mounting hardware and one rotor. I would be willing to let go of them for a reasonable price. Keep in mind that the calipers could use rebuilding and you will need to factor that a rotor and pads into your cost analysis.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Do the granada swap. Its cheap and it works great for a normal driver. I can't see spending that much money on the brakes unless you race or you really want the car to look good.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
As msgjvh says, none of the kits are legal. I would recommend the Wilwoods as well. I'm going that route. the reason I recommend the Wilwoods over the Granada are simple. First, it's a vastly superior and powerful brake system compared to the Granada. Also, it's completely a bolt on affair!No alginments to be done once your done!

With the Granada set up, you'll buy the parts from a wrecking yard, I'm sure you'll pay over $100.00. Then you have to get new rotors, rebuilt calipers, ect. Next, new tie rod ends, renting tools to take the old spindles off and then paying for an alignment. All the hidded costs IMO will add up very quickly and probably costing more then the Wilwood kit.

BTW, the Wilwood uses a 11.75" rotor vs 10.75" for the Granada.

·
Registered
182 Posts
To go with the #2428570387, you'll need granada outer tie rod ends, alignment & you also need some sort of proportioning valve to adjust the pressure to the rear brakes. (I bought this one

If you just want the added safety and lower maintenance of disc brakes, go with the granada setup, it's definately the bang for the buck. But, if you want stellar braking for a hot street car or possible track duty, save up a little more money for the baer or wilwood-type kits.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I did the granada swap for about $200. Paid $50 at the salvage yard for all the good stuff and prop. valve (pulled everything myself is why it was pretty cheap) and with the new hoses tie rods etc. it was only about $200, but there are some headaches involved and alot of pestering questions that have to be posted to figure out some of this ford "engineering" for us less qualified people ::

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why are none of them street legal?

Slade

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I also have the Wilwood setup, but I have been tinkering with it for a couple years, trying to get it right. It really is a race setup and I would recommend the SSBC system for a street car.

Just a couple reasons that the Wilwood setup isn't right (IMHO) for a street car:

To properly bleed the fronts, you have to unbolt the caliper and rotate it so that the bleed screws are pointing straight up (I bleed my brakes before every track event so you can tell why it's an issue for me!)

Safety wire - many parts (including the caliper mounting bolts which have to be undone to bleed the brakes) have to be safety wired. Not a huge deal, but something to think about (especially if you bleed them as often as I do).

Getting the calipers exactly centered over the rotor is critical, otherwise you'll end up with piston knockback (and then the brakes feel like you have to pump them up).

There were additional items I had to buy (I think the SSBC kit is soups to nuts - I had to buy the flex lines).

My first set of front rotors had to be replaced (which Wilwood did for free) due to excessive runout and I had to turn the rears.

Having said this, the brakes do work fine on the street: it was really when I started to push hard on the track that I became less than satisfied. The last time I was out they were very close to being what I want: I did have some excessive piston knock back, but there were a couple times that they stopped so well I could have put my nose on the windshield if I didn't have the shoulder harnesses holding me back!

Also, I'll know in a week if I have finally managed to get all the bugs worked out: many of us VMFers will be at Sears Point next weekend for the Shelby Clubs 20th annual Mini Nats!!

I do think the brakes will be outstanding once they are sorted out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts