Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been discussed several times before, but I find that the mix of information isn't clear.

Currently have an Inline 6, but will be swapping over to a V8.

I pulled an 8.8 from an explorer on Black Friday. It has a disc set up.
I subsequently purchased a set of front disc brakes locally.
Manual disc brakes -- I don't care about using a power brake setup and, therefore, don't see the need to spend money for a booster.

I'm not certain that I want to use the MC sold by CJ Pony Parts. see Master Cylinder With Proportioning Valve Disc/Disc 1965-1973

My research shows that people are claiming to use the following MC:
'84-86 SVO
'00 V6 Mustang
'85 Towncar
'66-67 Corvette
I've also seen posts where people use MC for a disc/drum setup.

I can't seem to find a solid answer for what master cylinder I should use. I also presume that I will need to use a prop valve (?). Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Let me be clear then.....
Generally a 1" bore will do the job. Without "doing the math" for your specific caliper pistons, that why I say generally.
On my '66 I have the Boss 302 front "big brake kit" and a Stainless Steel Brakes rear disc setup.
The master is a '68 drum brake unit (1" bore) with the residual valves removed from both front and rear ports.
This is a manual brake master being used on my manual brake car.
Works fine and has many thousands of miles on it, both track and street. (reservoir is not as large as I would generally
want to see but if you check the fluid level periodically, it's a non-issue)

Stay away from the SVO master. If it's a real one, the bore is way too big for comfortable use with one foot. Unless your
last name is Swartzenngar....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I am using a MC from an '88 Chateau (E250) van. 1-1/16" bore disc/drum with residual pressure valve removed from the drum side. No proportioning valve. Granada discs up front, Explorer discs out back. The only thing I don't like is that the ports are on the engine side.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
honetly any of the master cylinders listed will work nicely, but the vette master needs a slight mod to the bolt holes, and of the others, the V6 stang master is easily available at most any parts store without waiting, so i suggest using that one.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This is what I have been using wtih CSRP SN95 Discs up front and SOT Discs in the back. A lot of people do not like the slanted bowl. I guess it can be swapped out. But, it has been working great for me. Maybe 3 years now? Can't remember. Old age. lol.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Here's the chart.
The plastic reservoir units are ugly under the hood of a vintage Mustang..... in my opinion.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Klutch

·
Dimples
5,140 Posts
I’m running a ‘75 Maverick master for a V8 disc/drum car. As far as I know, the residual pressure valve is not integral to this master cylinder.

It works perfectly with my Granada/Explorer 4 wheel disc setup. It’s also nice because a replacement is very affordable.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I’m running a ‘75 Maverick master for a V8 disc/drum car. As far as I know, the residual pressure valve is not integral to this master cylinder.

It works perfectly with my Granada/Explorer 4 wheel disc setup. It’s also nice because a replacement is very affordable.
That's a 15/16" bore, just like the master used later on the Granada disc/drum application ........ bore is too small really for 4 wheel disc.
Lotta pedal travel.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Dimples
5,140 Posts
That's a 15/16" bore, just like the master used later on the Granada disc/drum application ........ bore is too small really for 4 wheel disc.
Lotta pedal travel.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
That has not been my experience. Might be worth mentioning that I have the Mustang Steve power brake mod with the altered rod position on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Is this a manual master? Combined with the mustang Steve pedal mod, do you feel it is easy to stop quickly? I’m worried about the manual master with four wheel disc.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Dimples
5,140 Posts
Is this a manual master? Combined with the mustang Steve pedal mod, do you feel it is easy to stop quickly? I’m worried about the manual master with four wheel disc.

Thanks,
Rob
As far as I know, there’s only one part number for a V8 Maverick with front disc. Over the years, I ran this master manual with disc/drum, power with disc/drum, and later power with disc/disc. Very satisfied with all setups.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I am wanting to say that for my last mustang I used the 87 T-Bird MC for a rear disc car.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
That has not been my experience. Might be worth mentioning that I have the Mustang Steve power brake mod with the altered rod position on the brake pedal.
Well, if you revised your brake pedal ratio, then your "experience" is not one of JUST using a 15/16" bore master..... just sayin'

My experience of the 15/16" master and 4 wheel discs has been brake pedals that end up too close to the floorboard during operation.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Dimples
5,140 Posts
Well, if you revised your brake pedal ratio, then your "experience" is not one of JUST using a 15/16" bore master..... just sayin'
That's a fair point. Thanks for helping me arrive at that. I wasn't thinking about that factor when I originally posted.

Having run this master cyl in 3 different configurations, just for clarity, I did not run this manual with stock pedal ratio and 4 wheel discs. Ex-Global West GM keeping us honest since 2006, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts