Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Disc Disc MC

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  BlakeTX 
#1 ·
I know that this has been discussed several times before, but I find that the mix of information isn't clear.

Currently have an Inline 6, but will be swapping over to a V8.

I pulled an 8.8 from an explorer on Black Friday. It has a disc set up.
I subsequently purchased a set of front disc brakes locally.
Manual disc brakes -- I don't care about using a power brake setup and, therefore, don't see the need to spend money for a booster.

I'm not certain that I want to use the MC sold by CJ Pony Parts. see Master Cylinder With Proportioning Valve Disc/Disc 1965-1973

My research shows that people are claiming to use the following MC:
'84-86 SVO
'00 V6 Mustang
'85 Towncar
'66-67 Corvette
I've also seen posts where people use MC for a disc/drum setup.

I can't seem to find a solid answer for what master cylinder I should use. I also presume that I will need to use a prop valve (?). Any recommendations are appreciated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Let me be clear then.....
Generally a 1" bore will do the job. Without "doing the math" for your specific caliper pistons, that why I say generally.
On my '66 I have the Boss 302 front "big brake kit" and a Stainless Steel Brakes rear disc setup.
The master is a '68 drum brake unit (1" bore) with the residual valves removed from both front and rear ports.
This is a manual brake master being used on my manual brake car.
Works fine and has many thousands of miles on it, both track and street. (reservoir is not as large as I would generally
want to see but if you check the fluid level periodically, it's a non-issue)

Stay away from the SVO master. If it's a real one, the bore is way too big for comfortable use with one foot. Unless your
last name is Swartzenngar....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#3 ·
I am using a MC from an '88 Chateau (E250) van. 1-1/16" bore disc/drum with residual pressure valve removed from the drum side. No proportioning valve. Granada discs up front, Explorer discs out back. The only thing I don't like is that the ports are on the engine side.

#4 ·
honetly any of the master cylinders listed will work nicely, but the vette master needs a slight mod to the bolt holes, and of the others, the V6 stang master is easily available at most any parts store without waiting, so i suggest using that one.

#5 ·
This is what I have been using wtih CSRP SN95 Discs up front and SOT Discs in the back. A lot of people do not like the slanted bowl. I guess it can be swapped out. But, it has been working great for me. Maybe 3 years now? Can't remember. Old age. lol.

#6 ·
Here's the chart.
The plastic reservoir units are ugly under the hood of a vintage Mustang..... in my opinion.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: Klutch
#7 ·
I’m running a ‘75 Maverick master for a V8 disc/drum car. As far as I know, the residual pressure valve is not integral to this master cylinder.

It works perfectly with my Granada/Explorer 4 wheel disc setup. It’s also nice because a replacement is very affordable.

#8 ·
That's a 15/16" bore, just like the master used later on the Granada disc/drum application ........ bore is too small really for 4 wheel disc.
Lotta pedal travel.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.