Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm doing a disc brake conversion like the Mustang Steve GT2008. I have 68 disc spindles and it appears I could press the studs out of the rotors and I could use the disc hubs instead of using 65 drum hubs. The 68 discs I have are brand new so it would be nice to be able to use the hubs. Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Hello. I'm doing a disc brake conversion like the Mustang Steve GT2008. I have 68 disc spindles and it appears I could press the studs out of the rotors and I could use the disc hubs instead of using 65 drum hubs. The 68 discs I have are brand new so it would be nice to be able to use the hubs. Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.
His front conversion uses 65-67 drum/disc spindles (or 65-73 drum spindles). Your
'68 disc spindle wouldn't work. The '68 rotors are all 1-piece. Even if you drive out
the studs, the bearings are still part of the rotor- you'd have no need for a disc or
drum hub....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I understand that my 68 disc spindle doesnt work with the mustang steve kit, thats why I said "like" the mustang steve kit. I can make my own brackets at work, and I like the way the bracket will bolt on the spindle in two different planes.

About the rotor, I bought the spindles and rotors from a guy on craigslist who said it all was brand new 68 stuff. And it appeared to be what he said. But I thought as you did that all 68 rotors were one piece, so I did some searching and found 68 rotors like mine at American Pony Parts. They call them rotors with hub.

Here are some pictures of mine:

Again thanks for the help

·
Registered
91 Posts
Perfectably doable, thats what I did with my worn 65 disc rotors, and proceeded to make my own brackets...

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I understand that my 68 disc spindle doesnt work with the mustang steve kit, thats why I said "like" the mustang steve kit. I can make my own brackets at work, and I like the way the bracket will bolt on the spindle in two different planes.

About the rotor, I bought the spindles and rotors from a guy on craigslist who said it all was brand new 68 stuff. And it appeared to be what he said. But I thought as you did that all 68 rotors were one piece, so I did some searching and found 68 rotors like mine at American Pony Parts. They call them rotors with hub.

Here are some pictures of mine:

Again thanks for the help
Those are definitely not factory- although they could sure do the job.
That's good info too. I wonder what the hub dimensions are & how it compares
to the 65-67 disc hub.....the early hubs are used for the old style big brake kits
and are bloody murder to come up with.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
would love to see more pics of those. I don't recognize that configuration of rotor/hub. My 70 or 67 neither looked like that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GT289:

I'm going to pick up a set of 65 drum hubs Saturday to compare dimensions and maybe get some answers. I'll post my results.

Lukesportsman:

Here is a link to a place I found them. I have never ordered from them so I'm not trying to promote them, just info. Mustang Part: FRONT DISK BRAKE ROTOR WITH HUB 1968-69 Except Boss 302/429

The rotors are 11.25" diameter, a bit over .875" thick (I didn’t bring my calipers home from work), and measure 3.0" from mounting surface to back of rotor.

Here are more pictures of what I have:

I'm not sure if this helps because i'm not sure what your looking for. Any specific picture I can get let me know.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks for additional info.

Its amazing how many dimensions and parts were shared back then between manufactures. The very first Wilwood brake kit I ever ordered (for my 69 drum spindles) shocked me as the first part I pulled out was the hub which was labeled with the GM part number. I was also restoring an A-body (can you imagine) which this coincided with and made me fret I made a Freudian mistake and ordered the wrong kit. But turns out that the hub/rotor was the same between the Ford and the GM of same year. Don't know about the caliper as they were both using Kelsey Hayes as supplier if I'm not mistaken until the single piston of 1970.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Its amazing how many dimensions and parts were shared back then between manufactures.
Yup, unless you've got a rack & pinion in it, your Mustang won't even leave the
driveway without GM's Saginaw steering division.....
Lots of GM divisions used to use LOF (Libby Owens Ford) glass.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I didnt pick up the 65 drum hubs like I planned, so I cant do a comparison. But I am in the process of building the brackets for the disc spindles and they seem simple enough. I'll post pics for evaluation when completed.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What I did was take a set of 68 disks and machine the disk off of the hub, the only difference will be in the small amount of wheel offset needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts