Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be sure before I return for the alignment from hell, that the front granada disc could not be causing the shimmy problem in the front end. I had the disc turned (and hubs later) and the brake pedal does not pulse, stops great and straight! I love the disc on the front. The only loose component in the steering is the steering box, I have adjusted it per the book and it is still just at the limits of usability. I will replace it next when funds dictate. Everything else is tight and does not move when I shake it under the car. I will ask them to set the align. specs per given on here and hope for the best. I have swapped the front and rear wheels and still the shimmy. I did not have a shimmy before taking it down there last week and cannot see how the little bit of adjusting they did could cause this situation. :p Here's the prvious thread if needed:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=forum&Number=762393&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=&vc=1

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are you sure you used granada tie rod ends?

The mustang tie rod ends will fit up in there, and "appear" tight, but they aren't.

The alignment shop would probably catch this, but I'm just suggesting it as something you may have overlooked.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
A shimmy at that slow a speed (25mph) is not indicative of an alignment problem, especially if not accompanied by SCREECHING tires when turning or driving. Instead, I would suspect a wheel/tire problem, perhaps the wheel not seating on the hubs (rears too), properly, or the caliper striking the inside of the wheel or wheel-weight.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
defintely used the granada outer tie rods. Had to trim about and inch off to thread in.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheels appear to be on the hub all the way and seated. I am using a spacer on the fronts so the wheels are up against the spacer and it is seated against the hub. There is no tire screeching at this point. they still need to get the alignment #'s correct at this point anyway. Then I will go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts