Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which 6 colors were discontinued (between April and September of 1964) when the real 1965 models came out?
Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
And wasn’t the “C” code for the Indy 500 cars also included?
I don't believe Pace Car White was ever listed as one of the standard production color choices at any time back then. Your question was which colors were discontinued, but how can a color be discontinued if it was never officially offered?

·
Registered
537 Posts
First, I think a little clarification is in order.
When you say "...which 6 colors were discontinued...", what it appears you really mean is "what colors were not available as standard colors on 1965 Mustangs", correct ?
Actually, the 1964-1/2 colors were not really discontinued, but not available as "standard" colors on 1965 Mustangs. Yet most, if not all, could be "Special Ordered". Usually, a color was not "discontinued" in Ford's true sense of the word (ie N/A - Not Available) for several years,

In regard to the "Pace Car" white, while it was not a standard color for Mustangs, it was a standard color for 1964-69 Ford Trucks, thus becoming "discontinued" (N/A) sometime after 1969.

Attached is a copy of a spreadsheet I put together a few years ago on 1964-1/2 Colors, as well as copies of Ford's Color Charts for 1964 and 1965, just to add to the confusion.

Hope this helps.
1964.5-1.jpg
1964 - 1.jpg
1964 - 2.jpg
1965 - 1.jpg
1965 - 2.jpg

Bob

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just realized that while it is obvious when looking at the 1964 and 1965 Color Charts, that some 1964 Colors were carried over into 1965, it would be good to have that information on my 1964-1/2 Spreadsheet. I'll make that addition when I get a chance, and re-Post it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
In regard to the "Pace Car" white, while it was not a standard color for Mustangs, it was a standard color for 1964-69 Ford Trucks, thus becoming "discontinued" (N/A) sometime after 1969.
Okay, I'm confused. If Pace Car White wasn't a standard color for Mustangs then why does it appear on your 1964-1/2 Mustang color chart? The PCW cars were a special order Ford marketing promotion and/but that doesn't make PCW qualify as a standard color offering. Also, I don't see Tropical Turquoise (code O) on any 64.5 Mustang standard colors list, but you have it on yours. Why not treat it like Champagne Beige or Ivy Green as a standard 1965 color but not 64.5?
Just muddying up the waters a bit. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I probably should have been a little more clear in regard to the Pace Car White, but since my heading only said "Colors", not "Standard Colors", I thought that my adding "Pace Car" made it clear enough. However, I did change my chart, and added a note in regard to Pace Cars specifically.
As I noted, the Code C, Pure White was standard on 1964-69 Trucks,

In regard to the colors available for the true 1964-1/2 Mustangs, a lot depends on what Color Charts and/or Articles you look at. Initially, there were 15 colors offered (16 if you include the PCW). The majority of Color Charts and Articles that I have seen and read, show a total of 19 colors (including the PCW), or some show 18 not including the PCW. Amongst all of the Ford Publications that I have collected over the last 50 years or so, I don't remember seeing anything specifically on the 1964-1/2 colors (although I haven't gone through my Shop Tips, TSB's or Ford Parts and Service Merchandising News recently to check them, but I will.

I have attached, along with my revised chart, a couple of color charts showing the 18 or 19 colors.

Bob
Listing of 1964.5 Mustang Colors.jpg
1964.5 Color Chart.JPG
1964.5 Color Charts_0001.jpg
1964.5 Color Charts_0002.jpg
1964.5 Color Charts_0003.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts