Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I was wondering if the front end from a 76 Granada will work on a 68 coupe for a disk brake conversion. I can get the car dirt cheep. I also was going to use the 302 and c4 out of it. The car only has about 45000 miles on it. It belonged to a family member that died and has been sitting under a carport for about 12 years. Is it worth messing with?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I believe the years that you can use for the conversion are 75-80 Granadas. Before I comitted it to becoming a parts car, I would check to make sure it has the 11" rotors, although, I'm sure it does if it's a V-8 car. I'm not very knowledgeable about Granada's, so I'd pull a tire off and measure the rotor carefully. Some came with 10 or 10.5 inch rotors I think, and you would'nt want those if you can have 11" ones.

As far as the 302 and C-4 goes, ya, I'd pull those if it were me. They would make good candidates for performance rebuilds, you know, like if you already have a running motor in your 68, you could take your time and build up a hot 302, and freshen the c-4. I would imagine the stock intake and heads and compression ratio is so mild that you wouldn't want much off the old motor, except the block, crank, etc, and maybe heads if they can be ported and bigger valves installed.

Does that Granada have a disc brake rearend? If so, maybe that would fit your car.

There really are a lot of people who know far more about this than I do. I did the Granada disc swap(used 78 Granada setup on my 70), but it all bolted right up with little modification since mine is a later model than yours. Do a search on here, and you'll find so much Granada talk you'll wear your eyes out before finishing.

Good luck with it

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Didn`t some Granadas even come with 9" rears?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes the front spindles are a direct bolt up. You will need the outer tie rods from the granada. The rear end is 2 inches narrower than the 68 but will bolt up to 64-66 stang perfectly. Also check the rear end because some granadas have 9 inch rear ends.

G

·
The parts catalogs only show one rotor for the Granada, regardless of motor. They measure somewhat less than 11 inches, but everyone calls them 11's anyway.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Granada disc brakes are a direct fit to the 67-68 Stangs. Just need the Granada tie rods. Motor and tranny is also a keeper.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks Mr. Mike. You're right about the rotor sizes. I guess some of the info I read on some of the Granada swap sites was incorrect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts