Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked , but couldn't come up with anything using our "search" function...

After this year's first track days, I noticed some hairline cracking on the front disk rotors, right on the main friction surface. After second two track days, cracks still there maybe a little more pronounced but still not enough that a fingernail dragging across catches much.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on how much I can trust these? If a quick turn at the brake lathe would help or just exacerbate the problem?

thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I wouldnt trust them at all.Replace them ASAP

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
surface crazing from the heat. cut them. if not happy with result or still worried magnaflux them.
happened all the time with the race car(dirt track modified)
The rotors(wilwoods) would get so hot they would glow red. never had a rotor failure.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I agree with _SuperCJ.

Normal.... nothing to worry about, Just shows you're getting them good and hot. (You should see mine)

I bet if you replace them with the same rotors they'll do it again.

Radial Cracks and circumferential cracks (usually preceeded by vibration) are something to watch for.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll turn them, see how they look. Hope to get the rest of this season out of them, them come up with a 12" rotor set-up like the Boss Handling book/ Cobra Auto one, for reasonable $$ over this winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.