Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is a front disk conversion kit for bowties that uses the original drum spindles. Does any one know of a similar kit for Fords. If not, are there any other Ford spindles (Falcon/Versailles?) that I'd be able to use so I wouldn't have to buy new ones?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
True! For '65 and '66 the disc brakes used the same spindles as the drum brakes. The disc brake calipers were 4 piston fixed type. A bracket was bolted to the spindle using the same holes the drum brake backing plates used. The Stainless Steel Brake Corp stock brake kit is a good kit (at least it was back in '87) and the only non-Ford type part it had was the proportioning valve - the kit supplies an adjustible unit and I noticed the new kits use a unit which suspiciously looks like the one Wilwood sells. When I installed it in my previous '65 FB the only mod I had to do was grind the splash shields to clear the calipers. Never had a problem with it the 11 years I've owned it.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can get you a set of Wilwood disc brakes that will bolt right on to the V8 spindles...they are a good, high quality four-piston caliper setup...costs $650 for the billet set, and $720 for the drilled set...prices include shipping to the continental US

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.