Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is a front disk conversion kit for bowties that uses the original drum spindles. Does any one know of a similar kit for Fords. If not, are there any other Ford spindles (Falcon/Versailles?) that I'd be able to use so I wouldn't have to buy new ones?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just received my Stainless Steel Brakes (www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com) disc kit that uses the original V8 spindles. They also have kits for six cylinder Mustangs along with either single or dual master cylinders (I chose the dual).

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
True! For '65 and '66 the disc brakes used the same spindles as the drum brakes. The disc brake calipers were 4 piston fixed type. A bracket was bolted to the spindle using the same holes the drum brake backing plates used. The Stainless Steel Brake Corp stock brake kit is a good kit (at least it was back in '87) and the only non-Ford type part it had was the proportioning valve - the kit supplies an adjustible unit and I noticed the new kits use a unit which suspiciously looks like the one Wilwood sells. When I installed it in my previous '65 FB the only mod I had to do was grind the splash shields to clear the calipers. Never had a problem with it the 11 years I've owned it.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can get you a set of Wilwood disc brakes that will bolt right on to the V8 spindles...they are a good, high quality four-piston caliper setup...costs $650 for the billet set, and $720 for the drilled set...prices include shipping to the continental US

1 - 5 of 5 Posts