Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear he couldn't have come from my loins! My 17 yr old son has come home with a #@%$ Honda, accord, 2 dr. he got for $1000. I swear I would give him the 66 stang if he would just wait another 6 month to a year. I have already given him a car to drive a/c auto runs good. What the hell has she been feeding this kid? I just don't think he's ready for the stang and the stang isn't quite ready for him yet. He has received 2 tickets in three days last week. One for failure to use a turn signal ($112.) guess the cop didn't have anything better to do. The other for going 73 in a 55 to try to get home before curfew at 12 midnite. He has a cell phone and has been repeatedly told to just call if he's gonna be late, don't speed! We have never fussed (well maybe alittle) if he's late, just reminded him to manage his time a little better. My 14 yr old has recently purchased a 56 chevy 3100 stepside pickup. Beautiful truck. only needs a 350 to complete. Already have the components to assemble. I guess I have been outmanuvered in the world of fanciful fatherly thinking to put kids in mustang. Oh well, guess I'll enjoy the stang if I ever get to retire. I'll be spending all my time working on Honda's and Chebby's...LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Geeee.Which is worse? My kid has a 70 Boss 302 that needs to be done in 2 years. And his is Yellow too.I dont know where he gets it.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
How does a 14 yearold kid buy a truck??? Kids these days. 5 years ago when I was 14, all I could afford were baseball cards, and I even had a little job working for my "girlfriend's" mom!

G

·
I know how you feel. My 17 year old has no interest in cars whatsover other than *Can I get a ride to...* He has known my Mustang will be his one day (when I tire of it.. lol). Wait, I am counting myself lucky, lol no inexperienced driver behind the wheel here.

Now my 12 year old daughter, well another story there. She wants Dad to pick her up and drop her off in the Stang. *Dad drive by and rev the engine ok? (blink, blink)*

*btw, 67Fastback.com to soon return, some dufus (aka me) changed the DNS*

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 14 yr old kid buys a truck by saving his money and working very hard for it. They have not gotten an allowance since they were around 12. He in paticular works a couple of jobs in the summer, one at a big auction house a few miles away that my wife works at on Friday evenings and some sat. Also he helps her in her little business. Save, Save, Save...that's how they do it. I really think too many kids are "given" too much money to throw away on "idiot" games, etc...I'm all for computer games and fun, but not every one on the shelf just to shut up some kids whining. They have learned the value of a dollar by having to earn it, so they don't burn it so quickly. Heck, SWMBO gives me money sometimes when I am "broke"... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif As for the 17 yr old, he has, as a boss I had many years ago told me one time (about somebody else), "definitely poopooed in his easter basket"

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Personally, I'd be proud of the 14 year old. It doesn't sound like a gimme, but rather something he bought cheap to put togethor himself. Even though its a Chebby. Around here, the 16 year olds have Mercedes and brand new sport utes. You can hear them coming a mile away from the subwoofers. And no, I'm pretty sure they didn't cut lawns or shovel driveways to buy their toys.

Carl
Started out with a $1400 '72 Dodge in 1980 (and yes, I cut a lot of lawns, worked as a housepainter and as a lifeguard, and shoveled a lot of driveways before I could afford her.)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Don't worry about either of them. We don't know "The rest of the story". My son hated the idea of driving a 67 coupe until he realized one day that it was cool. Then he worked his tail off restoring it. After a no fault total job on it, I offered to sell him cheaply, a 68 FB that I had picked up. He hated it until he saw a 68 FB Shelby Clone. Now he has restored it and "Cloned" it somewhat and is talking about keeping it forever.

It would be wise to give the boys some time and don't let a Mustang, Honda, Chevy difference of opinion become a wedge in your relationship. You might even learn some Ricer talk and check out the prices of tweaking the ricer. I am sure you can't get as much bang for your buck from a Honda as you can with a Mustang.

I like the way some of the kids are being creative in fixing up the imports. I would like to drive one that is really hot. When it is all said and done though... a fixed up Honda is still just a fixed up Honda with a decreasing value. A restored Mustang is a very nice car which is a good investment that will pay greater dividends in the future.

G

·
Don't give up on him...my first car was a $300 honda...I have since come around. That honda got me to work and to school. If he saved up his money to get this Honda...that is a good thing. Let him have some fun with it. It is a very easy car to learn and to get into car tuning and such. He will have lots of friends around that will show him things and he'll gradually get into it. He may or may not eventually turn back to the mustangs after he realizes the truth...'a mustang that doesn't run is still cooler then a Honda' I got that quote from a Honda owner as I was stuck on the side of the road in my mustang...

Slade

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Haven't you been watching HorsePower TV. Honda's are cool, especially with a stero system that has more power than the engine! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
hey he can always do like I did, have both! I think it's the greatest thing to have 2 totally different driving experiences, keeps the thrill alive and shows the strengths and weaknesses of different car designs. Hmm mash the gas with tire boiling torque and the sweeting sound, or rev it to 8400 rpm every shift or toss it up&down a curvy mountain road. Oh wait, your kid's 17, better not give him ideas /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts