Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car all finished with custom 2.5" exhaust hooked up to Pypes X pipe. Sounded great.

As I took it out for a road test two of my retired neighbors with old cars who have seen me wrenching on the car give me thumbs up with one doing the burn out circle with his hand, although I feel a sense of triumph I resist the urge to mash the throttle a little more but as I don't do that stuff in my neighborhood and am doing a road test. I drive around normal around town driving, letting the fresh motor and new stage II C4 tranny go through the gears (I manually disengaged the GV OD unit with the switch), stopped to put some gas in the tank. Decided to take it to a long straight and run it up to 3500-4000 rpms. I get to the straight, my wife is like "do it" so I depress the throttle to kick it down from 3rd into 2nd rpms go up....engine dies with some sort of whistling sound like a balloon letting out air (no squeal), coast over to the side of the road. Try to restart and it cranks but very labored, then fires up, drop it into gear and nothing. It goes into Park and Neutral, but absolutely no sounds of the tranny dropping into gear. I call the tow truck, an hour later he shows, tow back through my neighborhood...same elderly neighbor that gave me the burn out sign has the WTF look on his face as he sees the tow truck stop and us get out.

I call the tranny shop and they say have no idea, but to drop the tranny and bring it to them. I checked the fluid...looked good a little overfull on the dipstick while vehicle is off. I check the vacuum and linkage all looks good. I put the car on my lift and have my wife shift through the gears so I can observe the shifter linkage, all looks in order, just no engagement. Engine will fire up easily with no problems and hesitation like it did the first time I started it after it bogged and died.

I'm dropping the tranny this weekend....any guesses what might have failed in it? The motor and tranny have 5 miles on it...motor is fine.

No weird noises...just wont go into gear almost as if it had no fluid in it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Broke pump? If the TC wasn't properly engaged then I wouldn't think you'd have gotten 5 miles on her. If so it is a quick fix

·
Registered
35,936 Posts
I'm guessing that the "whistling noise" was the torque converter saying "so long!".

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
+1 on the torque converter. Guessing you didn’t have it fully engaged when you installed it. Common mistake with a C4. To have to rotate that sucker until it clicks and drops in several times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts