Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Dist. gear

570 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  66benchcoupe 
G
#1 ·
Gentlemen I am using one of Crane's bronze distributor gears in a 1990 H.O. 302 with a stock oil pump. What kind of mileage can I expect from this gear using synthetic oil? Best regards. John

G
#5 ·
The stock gear was an original 67 Mustang---most probably casr iron. I installed a 90 H.O. roller cam block. This dictates that the dist. gear should be changed to avoid pre-mature wear. One of the acceptable gears could be steel. Several people have told me that by using a new steel gear with a used cam is risky. ( there could be damage to the cam gear!!!). Yikes! A bronze gear is acceptable. However, I get conflicting reports as to the durability of these gears. The manufacturers of the bronze gears also give me several different stories. I'm looking for someone who has practical experience in this area and has specific suggestions. Best regards. John

#6 ·
The bronze gear is a sacraficial part... It wears instead of the camshaft gear. New special steel gears avalable from Crane (probably others) that is compatable with steel billet roller camshafts. Crane says the new steel gear will last indefinitely.

I have the steel Crane gear running on a billet hydraulic roller camshaft. Pulled it 2 months ago for a look, no wear whatsoever.

#7 ·
My engine rebuilder told me that I must use either a bronze or iron gear with a billet cam, since steel particles from the gear would get into the oil and damage the engine. Since iron was not available in a 1/2" dia distributer shaft, he got bronze. He said it would last about 5 years. I wonder if I could have used the steel gear that was on the distributer.?

#8 ·
You should use a steel billet gear (get one from Ford Racing). The key thing for this gear is to set it properly on the distributor shaft for if it is too high or too low, the cam gear and the distributor gear will soon be toast.

Yes, you can use bronze gears but don't expect them to last a long time. You can't use a cast gear; the camshaft gear will eat it up quickly.

Last, don't depend on heresay, call Ford Racing and ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.