Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a diagram that people refer to that shows the proper measurements from various points on a Mustang. I am a little puzzled, in that the distance shown from the inside of the frame rails where they near the radiator support is supposed to be about 26.62 and yet mine measures about 27 1/2". Just wondering if that chart may be from a 66, when the engine bay was smaller.

Anyone else encounter this?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I am thoroughly confused now.

Thanks for checking. This is a 68 I am referring to, but if your measurement came in where they did, then I am not sure how much value to put in the 'factory' measurements.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Best I can tell on my 68 is 27 3/4.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
65 shop manual gives 24.92 for center of sway bar holes i'm within 1/16" of that. Liskey drawing gives 34 1/4" on outside frame for 65 that is what I have outside the flange.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My 69' is 27 1/2 inches between the rails. If I recall correctly, the shop manual for the 69 shows 26.62" as the distance between the center of the sway bar mount bolt holes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. The only reason I think I remember this is that I chopped my front rails and welded patches in place while replacing all the aprons and spring towers. I must have measured 100 times.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My car is a '65. I'm not sure what the differences are, if any, between years. (My measurement is in the photo.) I measured from outside-to-outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My car is a '65. I'm not sure what the differences are, if any, between years. (My measurement is in the photo.) I measured from outside-to-outside.
Your measurement must have been the vertical flange and the little flange that point forward. Liskey drawing gave 34 1/4" to get that I had to measure the bottom outside flange which is about 1" on each side.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Rrdlagray - I wanted to have a measurement that I could duplicate easily without having to measure through the rad support or bend a tape. The inside-to-inside measurement can be hard to perform accurately. You are correct in how I measured it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts