Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water where I live is so hard it can ruin a home's plumbing in only a few years. So when I installed a new radiator a couple months ago, I of course used distilled water. The last thing I want to do is start crudding -up a brand new 4-row!

Up till now, I've made a practice of backflushing my whole system (with one of the Prestone backflush kits and the garden hose) every couple of years. Problem now is, if I backflush I'm left with the hard, corrosive tap water in my cooling system.

What's the answer to this situation? In a climate as hot as central Texas, I need to keep my cooling system as clean and efficient as possible. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You didn't mention coolant. You should be running about 50% water and 50% coolant. If the system is clean, it shouldn't need frequent flushing. Changing coolant is probably a good idea just to keep fresh additives in the mix. Drain as much coolant out as you can. Replace the volume you removed with half and half. That ought to do it. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't mention coolant because I assumed it would be understood... I do run a 50/50 mixture. As for frequency - I see some small amount of dirt and rust come out with every backflush. It may be overkill, but I really like cleaning it like this every couple years. I've even heard it recommended for EVERY year.

My dilemma is that the hard water (left in the system from backflushing) could cause as much problem as scale and rust caused from not backflushing at all.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
rain water may be cleaner than your tap water. How about a rain barrol on a downspout to use to flush your radiator. You could also get a 5 gallon drinking water jug or a bunch of one gallon ones. $5.00 worth of water should be enough. You could also use this as a great exuse to go spend the day overyour friends house. They just need to be on a different water system. So you have to drive over, wait an hour for the car to cool off. Feel free to spend the hour cooling yourself off too. Flush the radiator, let car cool again. rinse it out. Let it cool a bit, Fill up with new anti-freeze. At least a half day job ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts