Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What interior upholstery manufacturer do you guys recommend? I've narrowed it down to Distinctive Industries or TMI but I'm not sure if one is really better than the other? Thanks.

69convert
1969 Mustang convertible
351W 2V, FMX, Deluxe Interior

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I did TMI on my 66. Fit and quality seem great to me, although I've never seen the distinctive stuff, so I can't compare. Only problem I had was one seam started to tear as I was stretching it over the frame. I then learned that by warming up the upholstry before installation it goes on MUCH easier. A year and many miles later, it still looks great.

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
TMI?, what company is that. Probably a stupid question but I am compiling sources for my many needed parts for my vert.

G

·
0 Posts
I just recovered the backseat on my 66 yesterday with the Distinctive covers, went on good and fit good, I warmed them up in the sun and I am pleased with them so far, will be doing the fronts next week.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

Descendent of Francois Seguin dit Laderoute,
Soldier Regiment d' Carignan, New France 1665-1668

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My experience with TMI on '65 seats is that they are good quality and fit easily over the original seat buns but heard if you use an aftermarket set you may be in for a fight. I did notice the seat bottom did not have the cloth loop for one of the listing wires which the hog rings clamp to. I had to do without and since I sold the car months ago, I can't say if they're still holding.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
I did my seats with DI. As previously mentioned, it is a real fight with new seat buns. I was generally satisfied with the quality. They fit quite well. A couple of hints - one, warm the material before you try to stretch it over the seat frames. Two, Use your weight, not your muscle to squash the seat buns down while pulling the material over. Three, if you are having a lot of trouble getting the material to slide over, put a plastic trash bag over the frame/bun and then attempt to pull the covers over. You'll be surprised how slick that is.

G

·
0 Posts
My 67 was redone last year with Distinctive Industries Deluxe Red. Looks great. I had an upholstery shop do the labor for $125. Drop off at 7am pick up at 4pm, money well spent!

"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Ihave unstalled 5 sets of TMI and not really been happy with the quality with respect to a number of issues (do a search on the old forum). Did a set of what was likely DI and very pleased.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had mine done with TMI. The quality seems very good and the upholsterer was pleased.

I recommend new foam. They feel fee/look great.

Doug-"Whether you think you can or think you cannot.....you're right!!" INDY-USA. GT/CS w/289-2v,PDB,A/C,PS,candyapple red,black top and interior,pertronix,chromeSS Wheels w/ GT centers, 215x14 BFG radial T/A's 3.55:1 open and KYB's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts