Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VMFrs,
I just went through 68 pages of 1964-66 Mustangs sold at Mecum Auctions over the last many years. 99.9% of them were beautifully restored mustangs that looked brand new. What I realized though is that the distressed-look (patina or faux-patina) mustangs caught my eye big time!

Pic 1: A beautiful faux-patina'd mustang.
Pic 2/3/4: A beautiful patina'd mustang sitting from 1977-2014 sold at Mecum Auctions. Its a 1966 Ford Mustang SCCA Sedan group 2 Race Car built by Shelby.

So this got me to thinking of a request and a question:

Request: Share your best naturally occurring patina or faux-patina mustangs that still LOOK GREAT.

Question: Does anyone know of any paint/body professionals who know how to give a car a beautiful faux-patina look?

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Tons of patina on my car but 50 year old paint and plenty of use (but not abuse) will do that to it. I'll see if I can take some close up pictures tonight and post them.

david

·
Registered
914 Posts
All my vert's patina is on my garage floor in the form of blue paint dust. But I can see you point and interest especially on a unrestored car with some history.

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
Sorry but patina Mustang is an oxymoron.
Stan

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not a fan of "fake" patina.

If it's actually genuine patina because it's old, then I love it.
Original patina looks cool on cars.
I saw a show where they made a car look old and weathered, they didn't get it right.
The work it looked fake, wear and scuff marks in the wrong places.
It's gotta wear from the top down.
I guess you could start with like a red oxide on the top, fade to a primer gray, and then finish the sides with the choice of color, hit the transition paint lines with a sander and then clear coat it.

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
No, you coat the entire car with the layers of primer and paint. Then you sand through to the layer you want showing.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Original patina looks cool on cars.
I saw a show where they made a car look old and weathered, they didn't get it right.
The work it looked fake, wear and scuff marks in the wrong places.
It's gotta wear from the top down.
I guess you could start with like a red oxide on the top, fade to a primer gray, and then finish the sides with the choice of color, hit the transition paint lines with a sander and then clear coat it.
Yup! All the horizontal surfaces of my falcon were rather... Weathered.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That's a cool little falcon, I see them on the cl quite a bit.
There was a mean sounding falcon ranchero with flat black sidepipes in my area a few years back.
I like them.
Maybe my next project.

·
Dimples
3,506 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think fake patina is lame. If a car has history and shows it, that's fine, but faking it is just that: fake.

On a different level, with few exceptions, I don't really care for post-63 cars in patina. Just doesn't look as right as an older car might.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i guess you could paint the car completely and sand off layer by layer until you got the right look, if you wanted a concours correct patina paint job.
Concours correct patina paint job....now that's an Oxymoron!

1 - 20 of 344 Posts