Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have unusual configuration on my 66 fastback:

- E7TE-CA 5.0 HO roller late engine (with 50 oz harmonic balancer of course)
- V timing cover
- water pump the passenger side output (as OEM)
- 4V intake C5OE 9425-C
- HEI distributor (this is really big and I hate it)

I want a distributor that looks original. Any advice?

By the way, I have OEM rally pac (I think they are not compatible with electronic ignition)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
How about an original Autolite distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor ? Mine works great with an original Rally Pac. Or a Pertonix billet distributor? I think there are tons of small-cap options. I don't like the Chebby-looking stuff sticking out of the front of my Blue Oval Beauty.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Original ford motorcraft distributor with points and steel gear, original ford motorcraft distributor with pertronix upgrade and steel gear, pertronix distributor with steel gear, duraspark II 85 mustang gt manual trans distributor, take your pick.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,808 Posts
I have the Pertronix II billet distributor in my 1987 5.0.

Attachments

6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How about an original Autolite distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor ? Mine works great with an original Rally Pac. Or a Pertonix billet distributor? I think there are tons of small-cap options. I don't like the Chebby-looking stuff sticking out of the front of my Blue Oval Beauty.
I'm not expert but I think can't use the original distributor with 5.0 roller engine, I need a steel distributor gear.

The most important thing for me is that it looks original and works with OEM rally pac.

i don´t know what exactly need to buy

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm not expert but I think can't use the original distributor with 5.0 roller engine, I need a steel distributor gear.

The most important thing for me is that it looks original and works with OEM rally pac.

i don´t know what exactly need to buy
You can get an Autolite distributor and swap on a billet steel gear if you want the original look.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you get a Ford Duraspark distributor you can get the older small style cap for it and give it the more original look. Aside from the control box of course, but that at least looks like your average 1970s OEM part so it doesn't stand out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The pertronix distributor will work fine, in fact it's what I have in my 98 5.0. It comes with a steel gear so if you're using the ford cam you'll want to keep that on instead of using a cast gear. The coil you linked I don't know much about but from the specs I see, it should work. I went with the flamethrower I coil.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pertronix distributor will work fine, in fact it's what I have in my 98 5.0. It comes with a steel gear so if you're using the ford cam you'll want to keep that on instead of using a cast gear. The coil you linked I don't know much about but from the specs I see, it should work. I went with the flamethrower I coil.
with this one?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-40011/overview/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts