Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Distributor Recurve or new Distributor

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  STLMustangGuy 
#1 ·
66 Coupe 289 C4

I've been reading through some of the other forums. I've already done the Petronix points conversion and added their coil as well. Everyone keeps saying, "Have your distributor recurved".

Where in the world can I have that done at? I'm located near St Louis MO.

Or is it easier to just buy a new distributor?

#5 ·
I find it safe to assume that if a distributor has not been recurved to suit your engine, car, and driving then it needs it. That applies to used ones, new ones, "rebuilt" ones, and the one in your car now.

#6 ·
All informative. So, Mustang Barn is the place I'm guessing?
I'll reach out.

#8 ·
Thanks, I was searching earlier and hadn't found anything. But today (I've reached out to Mustang Barn), I had a fellow local racer inform me of a guy locally nearby that does it. I'm going to give him a call to chat.

#11 · (Edited)
I would stick to a Ford guy like MB otherwise you get chevy guys applying chevy thinking. If you know how you want the dizzy curved, anyone competent can do it, if you are not sure, let a Ford guy do it. When one vendor floats to the surface on this site - only a handful have really made it frankly, they are golden - trust the FORCE...

Ok, stupid question. When I rebuilt my engine 20 years ago, I installed an MSD distributor with an MSD box (MSD coil and MSD wires, too). I've never heard of getting a distributor recurved, does it apply to electronic billet distributors as well as the original style?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Distributor says when spark happens, doesn't mater how the spark is generated. The dizzy needs to be curved to the build and intended use of the motor for optimum performance. One boat-buck ($100) is peanuts, get it done once and forget it...

#12 ·
One boat-buck ($100) is peanuts, get it done once and forget it...
Boy, it's been quite some time since I've heard the term "boat-buck". Thanks for the chuckle.... I've been a "boat guy" for quite some time, and dropped plenty of boat-bucks.

Good point on the Ford guy.
Spoke with Dan at MB. Seems to be solid. I just have to get the car back from Paint and get the dizzy pulled.

#9 ·
Mustang Barn

I had Dan do my dist and had the 4011 tweaked as well. Did a 5,500 mile trip right after that and averaged over 20 mpg's for the trip. I do have OD but I also have a 3.25 rear and I use all 4 holes in the carb! Best mpg's I'd gotten in a long time and the dist was the major factor!

Attachments

#10 ·
Ok, stupid question. When I rebuilt my engine 20 years ago, I installed an MSD distributor with an MSD box (MSD coil and MSD wires, too). I've never heard of getting a distributor recurved, does it apply to electronic billet distributors as well as the original style?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#13 ·
i had mine done about 5 years ago by Tim who since retired

Dan will do the same great job

we are the original family owners of the power train so i know it well

the car has never run better. my dad got in and said it runs better now than when it was new.
he couldnt get over it and kicked himself for not having it done for $10 back in the day

was an add on to a regular tune up. he never went for it

spend the $100 and get yours done

#14 ·
Dan Nolan at Mustang Barn is the way to go.
I guarantee you that you will feel the difference in the seat of your pants!

Reactions: cturboaddict
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.