Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Changing out my 2v for a Preformer & 600CFM Holley. I have 1969 Cougar with 351W single point Dist. Can I swap it out with a Ford HEI distributor from an older model in the bone yard? I really don't want to throw big $$$ on a Mallory.
Any other hints now that I'm changing things.

1969 Cougar Restro in progress<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cougarmike on 04/24/01 09:21 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You'll need the stock control box or something like an MSD if it's the distibutor I'm thinking it is...like the old Duraspark...

I used a Duraspark distributor (with the big cap) and a MSD in my early race car engines with great success....used a standard Mallory coil as a voltage source...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to replace the the old distributor with a newer one out of a late model Ford or Mustang small Block?
Mike

1969 Cougar Restro in progress

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The new distributors use a control box to take the trigger signal from the magnetic pickup and turn it into the signal for the coil....some also utilize multiple spark technology (like the MSD) to increase and spread out the spark energy....

I don't believe the late model distributors will work without their control box and the really late model ones (EEC4 and later) are a complete engine management solution and need all their sensors and other equipment to operate...

Maybe someone will come along and correct me but this is what I remember from my experiences with Fords electronic distributors...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I believe you will need a Duraspark distributor and control module from a 351W engine (prior to fuel injection). The distributors from the 302 and 5.0 engines will not physically fit the 351W.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the distb out of a 74 ranchero w/351w. I took the controller box with it. It works perfectly. Just remember to take the wiring too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts