Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've had my '66 since April. I finally got around to changing plugs and other things like fixing the heater core. I was looking at going ahead and putting new points and condenser in and tested the vacuum diaphragm and that didn't hold are so it got replaced today as well. I think I have the points set to the right gap. The car usually fires right up but dumb me said it will run better with new points. Anyway, I finally got it started after I rechecked the points again. But now I have a rough idle and wanting to see which direction I need to turn first.

Also, do you guys prefer an older style dwell meter or a new digital multimeter to check dwell?

·
Registered
37,786 Posts
Type of meter makes no difference, really. If you don't have one then I'd probably spring for the DMM with a tach/dwell function, and if you don't have a timing light they make those with tach/dwell function as well.

I'd set your point gap/dwell first. If you want to "cheat", disconnect the coil wire at the distributor cap and ground it, remove the rotor, hook up your tach/dwell meter and your remote starter switch, turn the key "ON", and crank the engine while reading the dwell. Adjust your points to obtain the correct dwell and hook everything back up. Recheck.

After your dwell is set, adjust your timing. Use a timing light. For a 289 I'd start at 12*BTDC and if you get any "ping", retard in 2* increments until gone. If your distributor has never been "blueprinted" you may want to consider sending it to Dan Nolan at The Mustang Barn for service....you'd be surprised the difference it makes.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
My advice, for what's it worth, If you plan on hanging on to your '66, this winter or (off season) pull the distributor and ship to Dan at the Mustang Barn for a quality rebuild and recurve. You'll be rewarded with a distributor as goos as it gets. Back to your question, I happen to have an old Dwell reading tune box. I used it years ago when running points. I feel, dwell is more accurate way of checking on your Points setting. Just the way I roll....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, If anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that might have a dwell meter to borrow or sale, let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Well, If anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that might have a dwell meter to borrow or sale, let me know.
If no joy locally, check eBay. There are a number of multi-purpose kits there, some with free shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts