Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this wiring is a hot mess, but my question is with this type of distributor (electronic ignition) does it need a ballast resistor. I know what it does but is it necessary?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Unless your coil has 3.0 ohms of internal resistance you need a ballast resistor on the + side.
Unballasted voltage will overheat and shorten the life of your coil.
The Unilite I don't know. What does Mallory recommend?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless your coil has 3.0 ohms of internal resistance you need a ballast resistor on the + side.
Unballasted voltage will overheat and shorten the life of your coil.
The Unilite I don't know. What does Mallory recommend?
So if i put a news MSD coild (Like below) then I would not need the ballast?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
why not just pop a stock ford dizzy and have Dan curve it for you
theres nothing better, more solid or more reliable for the street and even some mild racing

dont ask me how i know this lol

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’m using a blaster 2 coil with a unilite distributor and I have a ballast resistor

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
IIRC the unilite is VERY VERY sensitive to voltage. And their instructions say either a ballast resistor or resistance wire must be used.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Unilite distributor is current sensitive. Too much current wipes out the Unilite module. You must use a ballast resistor and you must use a coil with similar resistance to the Mallory recommended coil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys!! Pros or cons on this distributor? I hate the resistor, any recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mallory Unilite is a very simple and reliable ignition. It relies on optics. Basically, the module has an LED in a slot and a special rotor with slits passes between the LED and pickup in the slot. It doesn't have anything fancy. It needs either a resistor wire or a 0.75-1.50 ohm resistor if you are running a true 12 volt coil. It requires the Mallory rotor at turnup time. It's been my experience that it works perfectly. And the rotor has a very long life. https://documents.holley.com/mallory_kit_pn_502m_ford.pdf

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’ve had my unilite for around 20 years? Never had a problem with it at all and I do use a resistor.
0C0703BB-BF26-477D-892C-3A032277D696.jpeg

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
IIRC the unilite is VERY VERY sensitive to voltage. And their instructions say either a ballast resistor or resistance wire must be used.
Seems like many of these ignitions that connect to a coil can be sensitive. And connect it a constant 12 volts and it fails just like Pertronix.

Mallory sells a Circuit Guard that plugs right into the pigtail. It says "The Circuit Guard is designed for UNILITE Ignition systems that experience failures with the ignition modules from voltage spikes (voltage transients, power surges). Voltage spikes are associated with "noisy" electrical systems from electrical defeats such as worn or dirty alternator brushes, corroded or oxidized electrical connections and similar electrical problems. It just plugs in between the distributor and the harness then Velcro it to the distributor. "

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have run a ballast resistor with my Accel distributor/coil, I need to work on hiding it better because it's so ugly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts