Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Looking to make a DIY brake bleeder bottle for my 66 i6 Mustang. What size (or sizes) of clear tubing is best for slipping over the bleeder valves?

Was thinking Home Depot or Lowes to get it from.
Any advice is truly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,509 Posts
I used clear vinyl tubing I purchased from Lowes size 1/4" inside diameter, 3/8" outside diameter for my 69 Coupe.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,469 Posts
3/16" inside diameter aquarium air line tubing here. You can get like 20 feet for a couple of dollars at pet stores.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang C Code and 1973 Mach I 351c v2
91 Posts
My bleeders had to be replaced. So I got russel speed bleeders and took them to ace hard ware to fit on the tubing. it was super cheap. I was going to try and eyeball it but knew I would get the wrong size. I built a tank from a mason jar. Drilled a hole big enough for the tubing to slide in but still be tight enough to keep the tube in there, and stay submerged in the fluid. just in case the speed bleeders didn’t work to keep air from coming back in.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Stock bleeder valves are 1/4" correct? I need to go pick up a wrench as I don't have any box ends that small in my set.

·
Registered
37,779 Posts
HINT: If you go the vinyl tubing over the bleeder route, first remove your bleeders and liberally wrap them with teflon tape, then lightly but snugly put them back in with your fingers. When done, remove them, clean off the teflon tape, and reinstall.

Why? If you just loosen the bleeder, there is enough space for air to pass between the threads and be sucked back into the system. A buildup of tape sealant will stop this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts