1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
134 Posts
I will be using the below for my 347 build with Champion 3 core 24" radiator and Ford Contour dual fan

Auto Cool 85 PWM controller from https://www.autocoolguy.com/

For $175 it's worth it to me because I'm using the new Edelbrock ProFlo4 which has no provision to control fan.

J

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will be using the below for my 347 build with Champion 3 core 24" radiator and Ford Contour dual fan

Auto Cool 85 PWM controller from https://www.autocoolguy.com/

For $175 it's worth it to me because I'm using the new Edelbrock ProFlo4 which has no provision to control fan.

J
J,

I have installed one of those AutoCool boxes and I was not impressed. They are HUGE and tend to "buzz." I suggest the Fk75
DC Controls

Andrew

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
So one of the things I have in my new old stock collection that is a 12 year old Spal PWM fan controller. I see those are discontinued and reviews seem poor. I currently control the fan with the temp sensing switch and relay. Should I just sell the Spal PWM and stick with what I have, or go to another controller?

I am running a single Spal fan, again 10+ years old.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Can always do it old school and simple...older Porsches have a simple temperature switch that screws into the radiator and opens a relay to turn on the fan...you can add a bung to an aluminum radiator to fit this switch...or alternatively add a bung to a water pipe or t-stat housing to the same effect(might even be able to simply tap the correct thread if you have someplace with enough metal) The Porsche switch is like $9.99 from any auto parts store...add in another $10 for a relay and wiring and voila...no crazy controller needed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok giving back! I used this PWM controller on my Taurus two speed fan. I just hooked it up to the high speed side. Newer cars a re coming out with brush less motors so I'm looking to replace the motor on my fan with one, if anybody knows what may fit let me know!l[/url]
I got two Spal high volume brushless fans in a custom built shroud that spaces the fans off the radiator so that they pull air from farther corners than just two small 'donuts' when the fan is right up against the fins. The Spal brushless have a built-in waterproof variable speed controller and you just change the sensors if you want a different heat range. They work like this (see sensor list at the bottom of the link): the 185 degree sensor first turns on the fans at 25% at 165 degrees, then variably increases the fan speed until it hits 100% at 185 degrees. See below. Several size fans available and 3 diff sensors.

Spal Brushless fans at Wizard cooling

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Can always do it old school and simple...older Porsches have a simple temperature switch that screws into the radiator and opens a relay to turn on the fan...you can add a bung to an aluminum radiator to fit this switch...or

Could you please tell me what years would have these?
Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-wahler-parts/coolant-temperature-switch-92c/823959481f~wah/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Z3pydm94wIV0cDACh2B6wftEAkYByABEgI0ePD_BwE

Honestly I cant remember the full year range, but here is one for 92 degrees Celsius(197 degrees Fahrenheit). You can find them in varying prices and I believe varying temps all over the web...I used the 197 myself in one of my builds without issue..but was a newer engine...I might try to find a 180 for an older pre-cat engine

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9516064810085.htm?pn=951-606-481-00-85-M2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Z3pydm94wIV0cDACh2B6wftEAkYEyABEgIUKfD_BwE

Here is a 185, but I never used one of the 3 blade switches, so wiring may(or maybe not) require something extra

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
I suspect the price varies on those according to how aware people are that they are the exact same ones as used on 1979-84 VW Rabbits and stuff. Stick "Porsche" on them and no doubt people will pay extra. Either way I wouldn't have a problem using one. But what do you screw it into? I have a vehicle that uses one of those OEM, it screws into a bung in the radiator. My Fords are sporting no such bungs. I have a hose Tee that would accept such a sender from a Saab, but it fits a hose somewhere in between heater hose size and radiator hose size and so is pretty useless.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I suspect the price varies on those according to how aware people are that they are the exact same ones as used on 1979-84 VW Rabbits and stuff. Stick "Porsche" on them and no doubt people will pay extra. Either way I wouldn't have a problem using one. But what do you screw it into? I have a vehicle that uses one of those OEM, it screws into a bung in the radiator. My Fords are sporting no such bungs. I have a hose Tee that would accept such a sender from a Saab, but it fits a hose somewhere in between heater hose size and radiator hose size and so is pretty useless.
You can easily weld a bung of the correct size into a t-pipe....or possibly find some stock application in-hose pipe of the right size for it with a little searching...or if you have a TIG and an aluminum radiator weld a bung in there....copper/brass radiators I have moved outlets from one side to another with brazing before as well, so that's also a possibility, but in the end...I am sure a lot of different manufacturers have some type of temperature switch...this is just the one I know of offhand and have used before on other cars I have built

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Just curious how YOU used these. I've had an eye out for a piece of OEM pipe that accepts one or another of these style senders for like 15 years with no luck. That's how I ended up with the Saab piece. I know there are a couple of members here who can and will TIG something into aluminum but I believe I'm in the vast majority of those here who have no such DIY capability or ability.

So basically I was kind of hoping you'd say something like we can simply pop over to McMaster-Carr or something and buy part number XX4XX and install into X.X size radiator hose. No such luck? Any pointers on where to source the (steel) bungs then?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just curious how YOU used these. I've had an eye out for a piece of OEM pipe that accepts one or another of these style senders for like 15 years with no luck. That's how I ended up with the Saab piece. I know there are a couple of members here who can and will TIG something into aluminum but I believe I'm in the vast majority of those here who have no such DIY capability or ability.

So basically I was kind of hoping you'd say something like we can simply pop over to McMaster-Carr or something and buy part number XX4XX and install into X.X size radiator hose. No such luck? Any pointers on where to source the (steel) bungs then?
Last I used one was on a 1977 Toyota Celica....I had a radiator shop braze a bronze block to the radiator end tank...then simply tapped it to the correct thread.

As for a bung...for that particular size, you have the easy option of a spindle nut:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-4x4-discussion/409938d1229719311-simple-taurus-fan-controller-switch-kobold-dual-thermo-switch-.jpg?stc=1

P.S. I love the Pirate 4x4 site...there is so much obscure automotive knowledge on that site.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Is it just a NPT fitting ? There are lots of in-line temperature gauge adapters designed to be spliced into a hose, in NPT or the straight thread used for temperature bulbs.
There are also lots of generic NPT temperature switches that could be used without being a OEM car part.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS766US767&ei=XsMwXcneBMaT1fAPzciwiA8&q=inline+water+temperture+adapter&oq=inline+water+temperture+adapter&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i10i29i30l3.3875.5835..5989...0.0..0.338.1971.2-6j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i13j0i22i30.xd6uuzCxhxw&ved=0ahUKEwjJhcmIlb_jAhXGSRUIHU0kDPEQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No...its metric... m22x1.5mm pitch...finding a NPT adapter probably isn't easy(though I am sure they are out there).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Got it. I'm sure one could be found, we've had to use NPT to metric adapters at work. I forget what aftermarket temperature gauge threads are, it's been a while.
most aftermarket temp gauge threads are 1/8" NPT...thats a long adaptation from M22(this is the size of a spindle thread) far better to just take a spindle nut and weld it into an inline hose pipe. I believe summit makes another aftermarket temp switch at a m14 thread though...significantly smaller...but still metric.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts