Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, on the way back from California, I caught a rock on the windshield and ended up with what looks like a double whammy from one rock. Can this be repaired with one of those DIY windshield repair kits that are available all over, or better left to the professionals? If DIY, what is recommended?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Around here the really good repair places charge so little ($30) that I'd just let one of them do that one.

(You got walloped !!)

Z

PS. My daily driver is now a really low riding car, an '02 Jaguar XKR. So low that I've got a rock magnet for a windshield.. so I really feel your pain

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've used the DIY kits with success, and I'd say you should achieve a good result as there MIGHT to be enough room between the chips to tackle them individually..being careful not to get excess resin from one onto the other.. in saying that, you may have to do the resin injection to both cracks first (without delay) before applying resin across the top of both (together), apply the clear plastic sheet, then into the sun to cure..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Around here the really good repair places charge so little ($30) that I'd just let one of them do that one.

(You got walloped !!)
That's what I was thinking too. It's something that I haven't done before, but all the videos and instruction I've seen usually just dealt with one, and here I have two right next to each other.

I usually hear stuff bouncing off my windshield, but I didn't hear this one. Must have been when I was doing 80 down I-10 with the window open. Didn't even notice the damage until I stopped for gas and started cleaning the windshield. I wasn't happy. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you haven't already got a kit lying around (the resin lasts 5yrs), Z has good advice for leaving it to the pros..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ouch! I've had marginal success with the DIY repair kits from the auto parts stores. After most repairs, it looked "better" but definitely not undetectable. I will say though, if you don't do some sort of repair, I can almost guarantee that a crack will form across the windshield originating from the original ding. Also, check with your insurance company. Some will pay 100% with no deductible for a professional to do the repair.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have used a diy kit 2 or 3 times and it always worked and lasted for years, but for the most part I just have the windshield guys do it for 40 bucks. I think this is the kit I used.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
tx65 Coupe has it right... You need the Blue Star stuff pictured above...Just follow the directions. If not satisfied after the repair, buy new glass, but It usually works out pretty well though. I've used it with great success in the past..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I went to a car dealership and asked who they get to come in and do the cars on the lot. I was told the repair guy came at a certain time and day each week and I should just show up. It was some old retired guy who did this part time for years.
Note to self...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts