Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface...I know NOTHING about body work...zero, nada...couldn't even tell ya what color Bondo is...so here is my question...

I have been giving serious thought to cleaning out the rain tracks over the doors and diving into a bunch of runs in the paint job from the PO.

How much of a campaign am I looking at for the gutters and the runs...is it worth it...is there equipment out there that could help me...would I be better off going to a shop...

I am thinking that this will be my first steps towards a completely new paint job...so having visible repair work or color doesn't bother me so much...but if I could reasonably salvage this one...I would be very happy ::

$.02 anyone?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I'm not sure what you want to do to the rain gutters, but for runs, follow these steps.

First, use a nib file or run blocker to work the run down to the rest of the surface. Then block sand it with wet 600 grit. Follow that with wet 1500 grit. Buff with a wool pad and rubbing compound. Polish with a foam pad and polishing compound. Be careful around the edges, and don't press too hard with the buffer. With practice, you can get a good shine, and you may decide to do the whole car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...it looks like the PO put a rush paint job together for the quick sell...the gutters look like they were painted w/o even being cleaned...I chipped off a larger 'mound' and it was pretty filthy w/ some rust...they all look solid below however. I mean the dirt wasn't even cleaned out of the wheel wells before the guy painted it over...geesh. So my though was to get in the gutters and get them clean before some real damage sets in.

Thanks for the advice on the runs...sounds just like the project I'm looking for on the paint.

ty

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
The driprails on all of my mustangs have had rust in them. It usually seemed like they were not prepped well before being repainted.

If you're up for taking these projects on, and don't mind a multicolor mustang for a while - go for it!

As for the driprails, I'd clean them up as best I could with a wire wheel, being careful not to grind up the stainless mouldings.....Once all the rust is gone, I'd paint the drip rail area with Corroless/Rust Encapsulator, and then fill with POR-15 epoxy putty, and topcoat.

Good luck ! Dickson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts