Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went and my car registered today at DMV.
Up until today, there was no paperwork on the car. no title, the guy i bought it from lost the title, and it hadn't been registered since 1991. So it was out of the system....I thought.

BUT, when she entered the VIN number, it came up as 1965 Ford Mustang GT .......!!!???

my car is an A-code, front disc brakes, had a fog light switch buried in the wires under the dash (but connected), some strange button where the fog light switch usually is, of course is a factory dual exhaust car with the correct hangers, and had the correct 66 style 5 gauge cluster with the dip on the bottom.

my car was hit in the front at some point i know, so the radiator support may have been replaced. it had one 64.5 headlight bucket and a 64.5 hood, fenders from different cars, etc etc. i have seen mostly all of the "how to identify a true GT" kind of sites, so that's not the info im looking for. im not a big fan of clones, and i have been in denial about this car being a GT since it wasn't in GT form when i bought it, but all of these "symptoms" are making me pretty suspicious..............

no marti report since its a 65 and no build sheet anywhere to be found unfortunately:(

what do you think?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
If there are no other signs that it is a GT than I would say they are calling it a GT because it is a V8, because today that is all GT means for Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a shame...but true.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a 65..... any difference?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Sure sounds like a GT ? Does it have the hanger brackets under the rear seat ? I also like to see if the dash lights turn on when you flip on the fog-lights but you said the switch is missing....

I'm wondering if you can write the ford customer assistance center. I did this back in the 90's to ID a K-code GT. They wrote me back and I kept the letter.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has the correct hanger brackets. and i just replaced all of the wiring this week. dash, headlight, tail light etc. nothing on the car worked when i got it anyway so i wouldnt know if the switch turned anything on or not. the switch wasn't missing... it was stuffed under the dash (still connected)

who should i make a letter out to if i decided to write to ford!!???
sounds great!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
The only way a '66 A code could have factory dual exhaust was if it was a GT.
Charles, what exhaust system would a non-GT "A" code '66 have?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Meyer65 said:
Single exhaust.
Sure about that?

To the OP, nothing in my CA DMV paperwork stated anything about my '65 GT being a GT or not. I don't know where they came up with that info seeing how even Ford didn't label them as GT's by their VIN. That is not to say yours is or is not a GT as it sounds like it may be.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Another item to make it a true GT for 1965 is the date when the car was built...it has to be after mid-February at the minimum.

G

·
Dual exhaust was not a regular production option on a 65/66. You got it automatically by ordering a K code or an A code GT. There's a fella in CA who claims he ordered a '65 with duals that was an A code, non-GT... but it came out that he pulled a few strings to make this happen. It most definitely was not the norm. The snubber plate underneath the car is unique for all 65/66 dual exhaust cars (actually just a carry-over piece from K codes.)

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/12_3_05/12_3_05 007.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
vamustang said:
Sure sounds like a GT ? Does it have the hanger brackets under the rear seat ? I also like to see if the dash lights turn on when you flip on the fog-lights but you said the switch is missing....

I'm wondering if you can write the ford customer assistance center. I did this back in the 90's to ID a K-code GT. They wrote me back and I kept the letter.
Are talking about a FORD "999" report and what year was the K-code you had FORD ID? I thought that FORD tossed all of the production data prior to the '67 model year? That is why Marti Reports can only be generated for cars '67 and newer.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am quite sure the GT's have a different code on the steering box. Also wasn't there some different plates welded on the unibody to firm up the handling of the Car. Does your car have the rear 1/4 chrome just behind the doors?
Al

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
You can also tell if the car was originally dual exhaust by the bracket that the rear flexible brake line connects to above the 3rd member. There are two indentations in the underbody for this bracket to be spot welded. One indentation is for single exhaust cars and the other is for dual exhaust cars. Reason being is to locate the flexible brake line away from the hot exhaust for either configuration.

An Osborne manual will show you which indentation is for which exhaust configuration.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks blckfrd i'll check that out.

since there's no door tag on my car, i don't know when it was built. and there were no signs of the chrome behind the doors, even under all the layers of paint and bondo that car had.
i just figured its one of the non normal cases, and its fine being in non-GT form. oh, and its a san jose car (5R09A) but thats about all i know.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
Dual exhaust was not a regular production option on a 65/66. You got it automatically by ordering a K code or an A code GT.
Wow, ya know, I just always assumed that a standard 4v car came with duals! I had owned an original, untouched, '65 289 4v coupe. I bought it cheap (REALLY cheap....$400!), and it was in decent shape and loaded. I had the intention of restoring it, but never got around to it. I never once looked under it! Due to it just sitting for a number of years, I sold it to someone that was going to do a resto. Like I said, I just assumed it was duals, but never even checked!! :grin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts