Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a set for real cheap and wonder if they even fit? I was trying to go with 15's but If the deal is too good to pass up i may snag them. I just want to make sure they fit. Front is 205/70/14. I currently have 195/70/14 now.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
IIRC, the center hub diameter in the wheel is too small and won't fit over the Granada's fatter than Mustang hub...

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
The Granada front brake hubs are a larger diameter than the Mustang hubs- therefore they won't fit into the stock Mustang wheels. The rears will work fine as there's no center hub that protrudes into the wheel. When I added Granada's to my '65 I had fortunately grabbed the 'nada wheels at the same time! Most aftermarket wheels are larger centers and seem to work, but the factory 14's didn't. For some reason I'm thinking you had to go with 15" anyway to clear the 'nada calipers, but I might be a bit fuzzed up on that..

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
OK I have been doing some reading, I see that some people put a spacer on them? Honestly these rims and tires are so cheap (250) for the set that I would like to make them work if possible. Is there any way? I see some people shave the hub? Some people put spacers? Any truth in this?
The OD of the Granada hub can be turned down in a lathe.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
The Granada was available with Magnum 500 style wheels which will obviously fit the Granada spindles.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Granada was available with Magnum 500 style wheels which will obviously fit the Granada spindles.

Granada brakes may or may not fit into early Magnum 500 wheels (1970). The center hub hole is not a problem, Magnum 500s have the large hub. Any problem will be because the caliper clearance is close.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Granada brakes may or may not fit into early Magnum 500 wheels (1970). The center hub hole is not a problem, Magnum 500s have the large hub. Any problem will be because the caliper clearance is close.
Not true Dennis.

The stock Magnum 500' have a 2 7/16" Center for the hub. Granada have the 2 9/16" hub. NO WAY to fit the stock Magnums on a Granada Rotor.

Please tell it straight, this has been told may times by you, --THESE IS NO DIFFERENCE --In the Granada vs Mustang Brakes.

Caliper clearance is Not the issue.

DAN CHOCKLEY

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not true Dennis.

The stock Magnum 500' have a 2 7/16" Center for the hub. Granada have the 2 9/16" hub. NO WAY to fit the stock Magnums on a Granada Rotor.

Please tell it straight, this has been told may times by you, --THESE IS NO DIFFERENCE --In the Granada vs Mustang Brakes.

Caliper clearance is Not the issue.

DAN CHOCKLEY
Dan,

So if they are 14s they are.probably stock magnums? Is there a way to tell because the previous owner cannot.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Measure center hole in Wheel.

Stock will be 2 7/16"

Aftermarket 2 9/16" Magnuns.

14 --15 all stock were 2 7/16".

The manufactures did not start making the repo Magnums in the 2 9/16" center hole till all these cats started pushing those dam Granada brakes and calling Them "Mustang Brakes"

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Stock will be 2 7/16"

The manufactures did not start making the repo Magnums in the 2 9/16" center hole till all these cats started pushing those dam Granada brakes and calling Them "Mustang Brakes"
Per the seller:

The center hole diameter measures approximately 2,1/8 . They were on my 63 Mercury. I have managed to find stock steel wheels,thus the reason for replacing the mags.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I may be wrong, but those magnums appear to be the kind that are a chromed rim, w/o any chrome beauty rings. I have a pair like this that came off my 73 Torino. They are ford original, but did not come on a mustang. I thought the mustang magnums all came w/ the chrome beauty rings?, but this was always a guess. Can someone shed some lite on this? Am I wrong about this...? I also think the center is larger on the Torino magnum, but again, I'm guessing. I could go and measure if anyone cares to know?

As far as the seller saying the center hole is 2 1/8", that is probably the measurement for the center cap on the front of the rim, and is smaller than the backside hole- that would be my guess.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may be wrong, but those magnums appear to be the kind that are a chromed rim, w/o any chrome beauty rings. I have a pair like this that came off my 73 Torino. They are ford original, but did not come on a mustang. I thought the mustang magnums all came w/ the chrome beauty rings?, but this was always a guess. Can someone shed some lite on this? Am I wrong about this...? I also think the center is larger on the Torino magnum, but again, I'm guessing. I could go and measure if anyone cares to know?

As far as the seller saying the center hole is 2 1/8", that is probably the measurement for the center cap on the front of the rim, and is smaller than the backside hole- that would be my guess.
I am asking him to measure the inside and see if there is a part number on the inside of the rim. I am buying them offline so i want to try and get this correct

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Stock will be 2 7/16"

Per the seller

If we understand each other correctly (the center hole of the rim) is exactly the same on the inside as on the outside , 2,1/8". The wall thickness of the mag is about 1/4" . Are we on the right track with this, or is there something I don't understand?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts