Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 FB, v8 conversion in work. 66 SJ FB with unique mods made at LAX
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 65 FB with 200 ci engine. This is my first post here and hope the experts can guide me. In short I’m rebuilding the carb (Holley 1940) and discovered it doesn’t have threads for the SCV. It also has a Load-O-Matic distributor. I understand I have two options since the load o Matic needs to be paired with a carb with spark control valve: buy a new carb or buy a new distributor.

The car will be a short distance, low speed daily driver.

- what’s your recommendation?

- either way, should I get a Pertronix system as well?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Cheaper to buy the dizzy.

Better performance too.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Far as I know, any dist needs the vac advance. Vacuum is vacuum so (again, as far as I know) you should be able to hook the vac advance on the dist to any vac port on the intake manifold.
I've had the same Pertronix on my car since 2005. It's on its 3rd engine and still running strong. I'll vote "yes" for that one.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
You could go either way here....but...

Why can't you just run both?! The Holley 1940 is not the Original carb, but they run really well.

I would try rebuilding the Holley 1940 first and see how that runs... What's a rebuild kit cost?? $20??

If not, then pick up a used original Autolite 1100 1v Carb from Ebay and rebuild it... or at worst, Buy one of the NEW Chinese Repro Autolite 1100 1V carbs on ebay. I would do those first..

The Original Load-o-matic Distys are so simple and they run really well... Get the engine running first...You can always add the Pertronix later...if you want to..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
218 Posts
His Holley 1940 doesn’t have the SCV, so he would need to change the carb and get one with SCV and keep the dizzy or rebuild the carb he has and get a rebuilt dizzy.

Probably less expensive to get the dizzy and have it recurved.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Instead of the Pertronix in a non-SCV distributor you could go with the 70s Ford Duraspark and solve your SCV and electronic ignition problems all at once.

Not that you /need/ an electronic ignition, but it's an option. It's also an OEM part made to go in your engine and parts are available everywhere if you need them.

It's not necessarily any better or worse than a non-scv 60s distributor, just another option that would work with your existing carb.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The load-o-matic system really stinks, even when it works right. It's just "okay" at best. My vote is to ditch the dizzy and get something with mechanical advance along with your basic vacuum advance. No point in handicapping your little 6 more than it needs to be!

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
The load-o-matic system really stinks, even when it works right. It's just "okay" at best. My vote is to ditch the dizzy and get something with mechanical advance along with your basic vacuum advance. No point in handicapping your little 6 more than it needs to be!
I disagree. I've had several 65-66 Mustangs with intact, properly adjusted Load-O-Matic systems. Very peppy, and the auto trans cars got 25 mpg. The 3-speed car got 30 (except when I was towing a boat).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts