Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all haven't posted in a while, but Im kinda stumped. I have a 1966 mustang coupe with a 289, its not a hipo so I am pretty sure that I have an open differential. Whenever I drive the car it feels like the engine is struggling to move the car. I thought that the brakes were sticking.

So I jacked the car up and took off the wheels and put it in drive. When it was in drive the driver side wheel spun freely and the passenger side was sticking. I then put it in reverse and the driver side wheel started to stick and the passenger side spun freely. The differential fluid is a little low but there is plenty in it.

I figured it wasn't the brakes because the problem wheel changed sides, any ideas of what it could be? Possible fixes? Thanks any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That's how open diffs work. It turns the tire with the least resistance.
Not recommended but if you block one tire the other side will spin. Forward and reverse it's the same thing.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
When a rearend is starting to go bad it usually makes noise, are you hearing anything? Almost sounds like it could be a tranny problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it be a problem with the brakes? Shouldnt there be no resistance when the car is on jack stands with no wheels on?

I have an automatic transmission. When I put the car in drive it feels like it is struggling to move. When I put it in reverse I have to brake in order to stop it from moving. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Josh66 said:
I have an automatic transmission. When I put the car in drive it feels like it is struggling to move. When I put it in reverse I have to brake in order to stop it from moving. Thanks.

That's a transmission issue.
Are you sure it's in Drive and not second gear when starting out. I'm guess you have a 66 c4 and the shift pattern on the console is a little weird. Many people think there in drive when they are actually starting out in second gear. This may feel like the car is being held back.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Stock '66 C4.....white dot starts in 2nd and shifts to 3rd all the time. Green dot starts in 1st, then 2nd and 3rd.

White dot was for easier starting with no spinning of the rear wheels in bad weather, or just to confuse the heck out of people.

Use the green dot for normal driving.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Teebone said:
When a rearend is starting to go bad it usually makes noise, are you hearing anything? Almost sounds like it could be a tranny problem.
+1

·
Registered
197 Posts
If it is only doing this when you just start up the car could just be that you are running a little low on tranny fluid or that it just needs to warm up a little. Auto trannys shift with pressure, vaccum(in this case) and selection. When the car is just started you don't have as much pressure because the fluids don't have as much volume. Which could cause it to seem to stall at first or jump off the line for the first couple of lights. Might check the fluid or change it and try it again. Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts