Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine and tranny were not connected when I bought the car. The guy had two torque converters lying around so he gave me both of them. One is a blueish teal with some type of plate attatched to the back of it with teeth like a flywheel. The other converter is brown, about 20% larger than the other, and has no flywheel with teeth part (Sorry for the description, I just don't know what it is.) Which one do I need? Or are they both wrong? ::

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Peeeekchures, we need peeekchures... ;)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Either or neither ::

The one with the teeth built into it is for an I6. The one without the teeth is for a V8. What engine do you have? The I6 doesn't use a flex plate (thus the teeth on the converter). If you have a V8, you will need a matching flex plate.

You also have to make sure that the torque converter is for the right year of transmission (I'm going to assume you have a C4, as that's the most common Ford Automatic). In '70, the C4 got upgraded and part of the upgrades is a beefier input shaft. Because of the bigger input shaft, you cannot use a '65-'69 torque converter in a '70/later C4. I would test fit the input shaft into the torque converter before trying to put the converter into the transmission.

When I first built my '66, I had a '70 C4 and a '66 torque converter. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the torque converter into the bellhousing :eek: You would have thought that the transmission shop that I bought both from would have known this, but I later found out that this transmsission shop doesn't have the "sharpest knives in the drawer" working for them. ::

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually have pictures here on my computer. I tried to link them but I guess you need a host site. I will email them to anyone who wants to post them for me. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts