Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The torque converter is hooked up to the tranny and the flywheel is bolted to the engine with the plate between it and the engine. When I put the engine in the car, what lines up with what? Anyone have detailed instructions to installing an engine? Thanks! BTW- 289 w/c-4 and I DONT have a shop manual.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well Chris, you,ve got it right so far now for the fun part . To bolt the engine and trans together first make sure your torque convertor is all the way in your trans bell housing. To do this pull it out first then put it back in wiggle and turn it as you push it in .after the inital insertion you will get two more stages of entry before its in all the way. Once you,ve got that slide the trans up to the engine about 1" from touching. There will be two line up pins on the back of your engine block (one on each side) match these to the line up holes on your bell housing. draw the two together just enough to keep the two aligned and start a couple bolts through the bell housing into the engine block and tighten just enough that the line up pins wont slip out of the bell housing. Now turn the flywheel from under the car till one of the 4 bolts from the torque convertor lines up with one of the 4 holes in the flywheel. Now put in the rest of your trans bolts and draw the trans and engine together making sure the torque convertor bolt comes through the flywhell hole . Now put the nut on the torque convertor bolt and turn the flywheel till the next bolt is at the bottom and put a nut on it and repeat 2 more times then go all the way around again and torque them down to the proper torque specs. Also go back and torque your trans bolts to thier proper specs . Hey the hard parts finished .Hope this helps. Rick

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Only thing I'll add is to be sure, if your converter has drain plugs, to line them up with the appropriate holes in the flexplate. Some have holes to orient the converter in any manner; others don't...

Don't force anything...if you get stuck, post the problem...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Never, never use the bolts to "draw the tranny up to the engine". That's the fastest way in the world to toast a pump.

When everything's lined up right, the tranny will easily slide up flush against the block. Only then should you start putting bellhousing to engine block bolts in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry Johnpro, it was late when I replied to the post and I was a bit tired maybe I could have worded it a bit differently your right about toasting the front pump . But his info log at bottom of the page did say 289/c4 so I assumed its an automatic so thats what I instructed him on . But if you insist on a public flogging then so be it but I really prefer the tar and feather punishment lol. And thanks to cammachinist for the input on the torque convertor drain plug I did completely overlook that one detail Rick

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you do have a TC with drain plugs, then how do you orient them with the flexplate? Straight on? Offset?

On the engines I've built, I just align them with the punched holes in the flexplate. Some have only had two holes so alignment was necessary; others had 4 so essentially I could put the converter anywhere the studs lined up. All the converters I've used which have drain plugs locate them radially equidistant from the adjacent studs.

Or did I misunderstand the question?? *G*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts