Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my dual master cylinder conversion has gone smoothly so far, but I am not sure if I will even need the proportioning valve I have. I have a 67 Master cylinder and a 66 coupe with the front disk option. Couldn't I just run the line directly from the 67 distribution block to the rear brakes? The reason I ask is that when I planned this conversion, I ordered some brand new steel brake lined from classic tube (excellent quality BTW) and I am afraid that if I use the proportioning valve I won't have enough brake line since what I ordered was to replace the lines on a jelly jar 66. I really don't want to have to flare and add fittings to blank line but I will if I have to. If that's the case where have you guys bought the brake line and fittings in the past? Can they be had at autozone? Did anyone else have this problem when they did their conversion?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You should run a proportioning valve with a disc/drum setup. It's function is to prevent the rear drums from locking up before the front discs. If that happens, the rear end of the car will pass the front end! :: Not a good deal. Some on the forum haven't run a proportioning valve, and advise you don't need one. I strongly suggest running a prop valve. There is a good reason they are installed on factory products.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
When I tried running without a prop valve my front brakes locked up. I figured that I could get home if I simply WD-40'd the front brakes and relied on the rears. Well, the rear brakes weren't working at all (this turns into a much longer story of how and why I got my T-5 and what happened to reverse on my 4 speed as I sped towards my neighbor's parked car).

Threw a prop valve in, no problem - everything worked fine (except my tore-up trannie).

I'd recommend a prop valve!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I couldn't find the fittings at the auto stores. They had the flaring tool and the line but no fittings. I also found that the tool was not easy to use. More often than not the line whould bend over vs crimping. I gave up and bought pre-made lines. But this forced me to put loops in them and that may have caused an issue with bleeding the lines.

Still no breaks,
James

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Install the proportioning valve in the line running to the rear; use the original distribution block with the old rear outlet plugged to feed the fronts.

Most auto parts stores sell lengths of solid tubing with fittings already installed. Most likely, you will have to bend loops in them or a coupe 90's to get final fitment (Commonly done on factory set-ups) So I suggest you also pick up a good tubing bender (cost will be maybe $25.00).

Good Luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try Pep Boys for the fittings. As others have said, you will need the prop valve to keep the rear drums from locking up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts