Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is a redundant question, because I thought I had posted it already, but cannot find it in any of my previous posts. Here goes: Due to financial limitations, I have elected to put the motor back together without putting a hotter cam and the required hardware (i.e. springs, rockers, push rods). I will leave it all stock (in very good shape w/ low miles on rebuild) except for the new Edelbrock intake, carb and headers w/ Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system. Should I install the 1" carb spacer, or will it not matter on this iteration of this motor? (FYI: I'm holding off on the cam until I can pop for some better heads)

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe (mine)
95' XLT Ranger (mine)
01' GLX 1.8T New Beetle (hers)

G

·
For the price of a couple of carb base gaskets give it a go.
Rarely have I been unhappy with using the spacers

Greg B

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Definitely do install the carb spacer (phenolic will insulate carb from heat better than aluminum).....it's also a good place to port the PCV system...

The only remaining concern will be hood clearance to the air cleaner...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Install the spacer. However, CAMAchinist, since I've got the 3" reverse fiberglass hood from Mustangs Plus, with edelbrock stuff (cam, valve springs, intake and carb), should I go for a larger spacer? I think I can install a 2" or more, as the hood clearance is not an issue.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
Just don't go expecting any miracles from the spacer. I installed one on my Performer intake (prior to the Performer RPM swap), and noticed no difference. There probably was a difference, but it would need the accuracy of a clock to be able to tell /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that I should put it on now, so I dont have to do it later, after I have moved on to other areas that need attention.
BTW: what EXACTLY did you come up with for throttle linkage for your Edelbrock carb?

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe (mine)
95' XLT Ranger (mine)
01' GLX 1.8T New Beetle (hers)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts