Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is about to go to paint. Shop will remove the hood, trunk, headlight buckets, and valence for paint. Yes, I wish they were removing fenders and doors too... but that’s a discussion for another topic.

My question is the hood hinges: I assume it is best to paint the engine bay without hinges in place? Should hood hinges be painted also? I was planning to have them remove the old hinges before paint and then I would probably replace them with new ones after paint. But should the new ones be painted?

Thanks!

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
depends what color they are now. Also depends what color you’re doing the engine bay if you’re doing it the same color as the car then black contrast might look good but if you’re doing it black then maybe chrome would look good that’s all up to you. Any advice is just our opinion on paint. But no matter what they should be coated in something so they don’t rust or look like crap against your new paint job.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I plan on bead blasting mine and then a light phosphate and oil process, but I like the original look.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My car is going to paint soon and I also got new hinges. I’m not sure what’s 100% correct, but I’m having the shop paint the hinge black to match the engine bay, and then install the springs after in their natural finish.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
I hit my hood hinges with "Cast Blast" from a rattle can. Looks surprisingly good and it was cheap and easy. My 1970 hood is very heavy and the factory hinges still hold it up. I've never used reproduction hinges, but I'd be skeptical.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I hit my hood hinges with "Cast Blast" from a rattle can. Looks surprisingly good and it was cheap and easy. My 1970 hood is very heavy and the factory hinges still hold it up. I've never used reproduction hinges, but I'd be skeptical.
My 67 has the heavy duty Dynacorn hinges which are much thicker and heavier than the originals. They’re nice and work well.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I installed the "heavy duty" version sold by NPD in my '66 and love them. There is absolutely no play in them and virtually no movement side-to-side with the hood open.

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
65-up was phosphate and oil. Unless you are going concours, and are worried about judges, "cast iron gray" paint does an excellent job mimicking this finish.

The only painted finish was semi-gloss black on the so-called "64 1/2".

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I installed the "heavy duty" version sold by NPD in my '66 and love them. There is absolutely no play in them and virtually no movement side-to-side with the hood open.
Their catalog doesn't say so, but those are the Dynacorn hinges. I have 'em too and they work great.(y)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Some place in China should make chrome hinges!o_O

·
Registered
185 Posts
I say yes - Black, and replace all the hardware as it looks like SCODE ^^^^ did. I did as well and it looks so much cleaner.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts