Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss was feeling extra generous last week and gave me a $1000 bonus. Of course that money is burning a big fat hole in my pocket. SWMBO has declared that most of that cash will need to be used for the refinishing of our outdoor concrete areas (really needs it bad). I figure I'll have about $300 left over for fun stuff. I was thinking of getting an MSD billet distributor, blaster coil and 6A box to replace my ford single point dizzy. The engine is a mild 289. My other option is to buy a pertonix and maybe the 6A box. So do I REALLY need that billet MSD dizzy?

Other options to spend my $$$ include:
-New autometer classic gauges for my R model dash
-March underdrive pulleys
-Spal electric fan
-GT-40P heads (would have-ta wait for rockers and headers)
-New gas tank and other tidbits.

Help me spend my $$$ wisely guys! TIA

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If it was me:

Buy the Pertronix and 6A, and put some money into a nice SPAL fan set!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have the MSD ready to run distributor in my 69 and really like it. It will be cheaper in the long run buying it than going with the set up you are looking at.

·
Registered
466 Posts
put in the patronix and spend the money on something else... i got it in mine and it runs great and is easy to tune.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It depends. What's the state of your current distributor? What's your intended uses of the car? The MSD distributor will FAR easier to fine tune than the FOMOCO one. If fine tuning it that much is not a necessity and your FOMOCO dist. is in good working order, add a Pertronix, Blaster II and a 6AL and pocket the left overs. If there's any slop in your current distributor, or you want to REALLY dial the distributor in, forget the Pertronix and get an MSD distributor.

You can change timing springs on an MSD in about 15 seconds, and change the overal advance in one in about 5 minutes. Neither is a difficult job on a FOMOCO, but the time and effort required is about 100 times that of the MSD.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
OOPS! You flunked the short sighted test. :p

Here's a secret to share with you:

Take about half the money you have left over, and buy SWMBO something REAL nice that she has been wanting (I know there is something). This is an investment that will repay you many times over. The next time you want a new set of wheels, aluminum radiator, or ??????, it will be soooo much easier. She might get to thinking about it and decide some of that money belongs to her anyway. Then it's gonna really cost you...

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
So your boss called your SWMBO about the bonus :: Too bad.

Going to expensive ignition stuff does not increase your hp or torque unless your old one is really bad. If you are spinning more than 6Krpm regularly, the consistency of spark is needed. However, a friend of mine run his race car with single point distributor, so I figure that street cars will do fine with ordinary dizzy. And of course I bought D.U.I from Performance Distributors, ok my dizzy and coil were worn.

I would use the $1000 for some aluminium heads and tell SWMBO that bonus was cancelled.
Other than that GT40Ps are obviously the best choice of your list.

If your tank is in bad shape that would be good idea, get one with drainplug and if you prefer a larger 67-70 tank.

Pulleys are lot of money and possible problems (not enough cooling or current) for a few horses. Spal fan, why? do you have cooling problems now? Gauges don't give anymore hp if that's you want.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you put in a aftermarket ignition system, you will need a larger dizzy cap to prevent cross firing. You can purchase a cap adaptor to get this if you keep your old dizzy. Tuning of the old dizzy is difficult, MSD is eazy. John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts