Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put 3.55 on my 67, which currently has an open 3.00. I'm doing this because everybody else is doing it, and I desire to be as cool as you.

I'm not racing, just being a poser around town. I want faster acceleration (because) but not necessarily the need to do massive burnouts.

An open 3.55 is substantially cheaper than a Trac Lock. Do I really need the Trac Lock, or is it just overkill for what I want?

I spent a lot of coin years back putting a lot of goodies on my motor that I simply do not use/realize benefit, so I've become a lot more practical as I age. Not nearly as attracted to glitter as I used to be.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Yes! Well worth it! Unless you drive in the snow.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I knew there would be no good influences here :)

Reactions: Turnall

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
If you spent a bunch of time and money getting every other component right, why not put the curly Q on top of that ice cream cone? Do you care about mpg? Do you care about not spinning and putting the power to the ground on both sides? Do you care about resale since the Q makes it a lot more appealing to the next guy? I have a 2.80:1 in mine and have no complaints, but just scored a free 3.00:1 locker already assembled so I'm thinking about the swap since it won't hurt my mileage noticeably but it might be fun to pretend I'm half my age and leave 2 black marks so my friends don't laugh at me...

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
FYI, the 67-68 stang used the Equa-Loc, in '69 started the Trac-Loc. Trac-Loc was a beefier housing casting, What I have in my 67 390GT with 3.25 gears. Plenty of torque, moves just fine.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I wouldn't bother with 355s if your not going traction lock. If its a matter of $$$, leave the car alone and keep your eyes out for a deal. 355s are just going to make your car scream on the freeway and when your going slow and punch it, one wheel will just spin, you'll never really get the benefit. It will be frustrating, especially when coming out of a corner, that inside wheel will spin with almost any pedal pressure. When one wheel spins, its like having training wheels on your bike - its time to man up, You don't have to do burnouts, but its sure nice to know you could ;o)))))

You know burnouts are illegal exhibitions of speed. This photo was a random burnout I found on the highway on a very cold morning...:eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Keep what you have, invest in your 401k, eat steak and shrimp in your old age while everyone else is eating hotdogs and chilimac.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
YES- buy it, you won't regret it!!
A nod to JD08....
Image result for slippery when wet sign

Reactions: Lizer

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I would go Trac Lock....HOWEVER....there are a few reasons not to. As you mentioned, there is cost.
There is also handling in inclement weather. Yeah, traction in snow when trying to take off is better with Trac Lock but if things are really slippery, the peg leg can keep you planted.
What happens with a posi type unit is that both tires start spinning and suddenly the whole rear end is loose and ready to swing left and right, maybe into the ditch or the car next to you. With an open rear end one tire starts spinning while the other stays somewhat planted and keeps the rear end from swinging around. If you want to drift, a posi type is what you want, but if you want to stay in control, the open gets the nod.
I prefer the Track Lock but their are ups about the peg leg.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys sure do love to spend other people's money. I think there's a name for that...
I would go Trac Lock....HOWEVER....there are a few reasons not to. As you mentioned, there is cost.
There is also handling in inclement weather. Yeah, traction in snow when trying to take off is better with Trac Lock but if things are really slippery, the peg leg can keep you planted.
What happens with a posi type unit is that both tires start spinning and suddenly the whole rear end is loose and ready to swing left and right, maybe into the ditch or the car next to you. With an open rear end one tire starts spinning while the other stays somewhat planted and keeps the rear end from swinging around. If you want to drift, a posi type is what you want, but if you want to stay in control, the open gets the nod.
This was what I was most concerned about actually.

I don't drive on wet pavement, and don't do burnouts that often and when I do, it's usually in my driveway...my favorite part to conclude a ride with somebody. I pull in, then back way up as their confusion builds. Then I launch into a peg leg 3.00 burnout, stopping before I go through the pasture fence. It's seal coated asphalt so makes it really easy. Completely unexpected for them, because...who would floor their car straight into a fence!? My foster kids LOVED it. Especially when I would get after a 6 year old we had, for incessantly locking up his bike brakes on the driveway and leaving marks. Then I did the same thing with my car and he totally called me out for it :) My wife rolls her eyes, but not the time I did an unexpected burn out with her. You can't roll your eyes when they're popping out like bug eyes!

Y'all sure do love spending other people's money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think there's a name for those. I know most of you guys are self-professed fogies but but the way you all talked you'd think this was a forum of teenage boys that just got their license. I got a lot of chuckles reading through a lot of these responses.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
You guys sure do love to spend other people's money. I think there's a name for that...
Politician? :)

My 3.55 happens to be a T-loc and I like it very much. If I would not have been lucky enough to find that in a bone yard 30+ years ago I would have picked up a peg leg 3.55 pumpkin. Yes, with a peg leg you will have to be careful not to spin from a start, but once rolling you should be fine.

Worst time I ever had driving was with a '87 Turbo Coupe T-Bird driving in the Sierra Nevadas in winter. Nothing like the turbo kicking in going up hill with a T-loc. ?

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My high school car was a 70 Nova with 307 motor and open diff. My dad and I restored his 67 GTO with posi. First time I drove the GTO in the rain, I almost put it into the curb. Scary life learning moment. Respect the posi.

That said, my Mustang has 2.79 open diff right now and I fully expect to change out to 3.25 or maybe 3.55 posi later on. Car wont likely ever see the rain.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
The 3.00:1 gear set is a great "all-around" ratio, especially with the torque multiplication factor of an automatic....it doesn't NEED the deeper ratio as much for starting.... I'd keep what you have and, instead of swapping GEARS, I'd look into adding a Eaton-Detroit TrueTrac helical limited slip unit to your EXISTING set-up instead of a Trac-Loc. Later on, should you want to go with a deeper gear, like a 3.25 or 3.55 you can just do the gears.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts