Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well i got the 11 amp one and it felt pretty heavy. I am definitley not winning any arm wrestling tournaments any time soon, so with that i ordered up the 7 amp one as well. both with paddle switches and lock ons. right of the bat the 7 amp one is much lighter 5.4 vs 4.2lbs. I am giong to run them both through some test stuff and return one of them after i decide which one i like more. I am kind of curious what those 4 extra amps are going to do when it comes to cutting material. will it be that much faster? Who knows but i am going to find out.

hopefully i end up with some overtime over the weekend and i just keep them both :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
did a bunch of cutting with both of them this weekend. The 11 amp one cuts like crazy maybe even a little to much for sheet metal type stuff. if doing sheet metal they both get the job done fine. I didn't find the weight to matter for anything that i would be doing. i won't be cutting for any length of time without checking and double checking my work.

for reference i cut through a 1.5 inch x 3/8 solid flat bar i had laying around. 7 amp grinder got through it in 53 second and the 11 amp did it in 31 seconds. So for a small cut thats is alot of time saved.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the corded DeWalt but not sure of the amperage. Works great. I think any one will work fine just make sure it has a nice guard on it that can rotate into different positions easily. Way better than air tools.

The best accessory I ever purchased was a $15 metal cutting wheel with carbides. It just doesn't wear and cuts through metal like butter. I think it's Rigid brand from HD. Since it doesn't wear, it stays the same diameter. Way better than the cheap ones that wear out. I've been using the same one for over a year now and it gets a lot of use. Probably every weekend.

The other thing is to pick up the 4.5" flapper sanding discs at harbor freight. The 36 grit cheap ones make quick work of welds. They are 1/4 the price when on sale compared to the main brands. Work just as well.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts