Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you paint or prime your new Mustang fuel tank before you installing it?
A nice coat of paint or primer
The underside of the old one looked kinda ruff.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
I've never painted or cleared one. They are galvanized. I did use a stainless tank once, on a Shelby. Not my idea- It looked like chrome.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The bottom of my O/E tank has been painted black, the top silver.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Cleared new tanks, after much wiping with wax and grease remover.

Reactions: gt350sr

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The entire underside of my car is black tractor enamel. Why tractor enamel you say? Go look at old Massey, International, Ford, etc. tractors from 60-70 years ago that have been sitting outside and in leaky barns.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
New Aeromotive Stealth II tank came powder coated from the manufacturer.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I hit mine with scotch bright and clear coated it as well. 10 years later and it still looks like the day I installed it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Ha, I thought I had such a novel idea years back...clear coated it ...back when poly urethane was the new rage! Still looks great.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The entire underside of my car is black tractor enamel. Why tractor enamel you say? Go look at old Massey, International, Ford, etc. tractors from 60-70 years ago that have been sitting outside and in leaky barns.
a 60-70 year old tractor that has spent its life outside is very rusty.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
a 60-70 year old tractor that has spent its life outside is very rusty.
Not around here and I’m in the heart of the rust belt. Maybe some surface rust but I’ve driven many old tractors that still had their original paint jobs with maybe some patchy surface rust at worst. Ford and Massey both hold up particularly well. Tractor enamel is darn near bulletproof.

·
Registered
985 Posts
New tank, scotch brite the underside and used the Eastwood Aluma Blast spray paint. Left the top natural. Used the same Aluma Blast on the rebuilt C4 and it is a pretty nice product. I really like the finish of the paint.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Nope. Existing tank was 50+ years old and looked okay (for a driver). I should long be dead before it needs a new tank.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Old tank probably went through dozens of winters and many miles of inclement weather. Unless you plan on doing the same, the new tank should be fine even as-stamped. That said, a coat of clear will protect it for many decades in your garage.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The top got painted when the trunk got painted, but the underside is natural. The old one had to get replaced cuz the rust inside was clogging the carb every time I drove it. Almost filled up a gallon zip-lock bag with all the junk inside it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts